Friday, April 13, 2007

D Day

Today was the day. The one I've alluded to a few times on my blog. The one where I said I would take steps needed to make a change in my life. It was my ten year anniversary at the job.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, even though my hopes were to announce my resignation from said job today, the stars haven't quite aligned the way I wanted them to. There's something comforting about knowing that you'll be getting a paycheck every two weeks. It's that conflict that I'm sure lots of folks face before taking the plunge to self-employment. I also have that fear of failure complex going on. I do know that the only way to succeed in life is to take risks and I was all set to do so but I'm not quite ready to break free. Plus I had made a promise to my long time co-worker/friend Deidre that we would combine our anniversary lunches together when we both hit ten years. Her anniversary date was two weeks before mine.

Funny thing, Deidre almost backed out of doing the lunch today of all days because she feared she couldn't invite everyone she wanted. I almost had an aneurysm. But after talking things through, she realized that she actually was able to cover all she wanted to be there. So it was on again.

The job itself has been giving me major stress as well. So much so that I was actually contemplating resigning last week. But I'm pressing on for now.

I'm actually proud of myself for making it ten years, especially the way the corporate environment is these days. But I think I may get over my fears real soon and make the move for greener pastures. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if it happened end of this month.

Rock's coming over in another fifteen minutes. He has some exciting news regarding a volunteer opportunity that he's looking to do. He was actually an officer of a non-profit years back but mismanagement of the organization by some of the officers left a sour taste in his mouth. So the fact that he's excited again about volunteering is a big step for him.

I also want to talk to him about our relationship. Ahh..I think he's here. Let me end my blog here. Have a good weekend all.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Soldier said...

Ready, set, go !!!
Take the plunge my friend, but BE PREPARED because there is NO safety net other than the one u will set !

You have my support, i can bake cookies and raise funds to help u start ! lol

12:53 AM, April 14, 2007  
Blogger That Dude Right There said...

You have my support also. It seems that you have prepared yourself well enough to go at the day trading endeavor. So go ahead and take the plunge.

9:55 AM, April 14, 2007  
Blogger Ladynay said...

Good luck with all that! The job and Rock.

7:07 AM, April 16, 2007  
Blogger Rose said...

Happy Ten Years! I just returned to work after taking 6 months off and what I learned is this, I want to make my part time company successful. I don't want to work for others. So this job that I took, I am not enjoying it at all. Because I keep daydreaming about my own thing. Do what you need to do to make you happy and take a job that you will love during. But I say find something first- times are hard and the pickings are slim.

9:09 PM, April 16, 2007  
Blogger BK said...

make sure you are prepared E.. that's all my advice.. :)


and Umm how you gone leave us hanging like dat??? I need to know what went down with you and Rock!

11:54 AM, April 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home