Sunday, December 04, 2005

Am I Guilty Of Murder?

I made my three month appointment to give blood today at my local blood bank. The country always seems to be in some kind of blood shortage crisis and I being one to want to do my part (plus maybe temporarily help my blood pressure...though that's debatable...*LOL*), decided to once again, donate some of mine.

One of the questions that is asked on the form is if since 1977 I have ever engaged in a sexual act with another male, even once? I always answer this question with a no, even though obviously I have engaged in sexual acts with men.

Part of the reason I answer that question with a no is because I know not doing so would lead to more questions and likely I would be rejected as a blood donor. I doubt that only happens in South Africa.

It's obvious that the concern is if you've engaged in homosexual activitiy, that the odds of your blood being infected with HIV or any other STD increases.

I inadvertently mentioned to Eugene that I always answered no to the "sex with men" question. After calling me a liar (which I am in this case), he flat out called me a murderer. He pointed out that if I couldn't be honest enough to answer a question correctly, then I shouldn't be giving blood.

What pushed his buttons was a recent CNN newstory he saw on the fastest segment of new HIV patients being black women who has a black male partner (husband, boyfriend, etc) that engages in sex with men. The 'DL' phenomenon is obviously nothing new. Even when Oprah had J.L. King pimp his book on living on the 'DL', the problem had been known for a while. As tragic as these cases are, the majority of these women received HIV from their unfaithful partners, not a blood transfusion.

He also mentioned that people like me who lie about that question but may have HIV, risk infecting the population. According to this article, however, the odds of that happening is less than one in a million. Also all blood from my understanding is screened and checked for numerous diseases, including HIV.

Eugene actually bought up yet another point that I really couldn't refute. Yet. (Heh.)

There is usually a two to three month period of time where the HIV antibody is undetectable in blood. What if someone who doesn't want to share his sexual activities decides to give blood less than three months after having risky behavior. It is possible that the virus could in fact be in the blood yet remain undetected. There are several cases where that's been said to have happened.

I don't know. Maybe I am a murderer. Three times over since one transfusion can potentially be used on up to three patients.

Either way, maybe I'll go back to my hiatus on giving blood. Besides it's not like it's a medical fact that giving blood helps with high blood pressure.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmn...I just don't see the connection between that "lie" and being a murderer...how come black gay men have a monopoly on being responsible for all things HIV in America? That's very interesting to me...

5:57 PM, December 04, 2005  
Blogger N4R said...

I think you boy Eugene makes some interesting points but I find it important that males who have sex with males donate blood and answer no on that discriminatory question until it is properly eliminated from the questionnaire. There is a big debate going on about that now. Just because you are a male who has sex with males doesn’t mean are infected to HIV. If you answer yes to the question they reject your blood. So why even donate if they not going to use it. Yes you lying but the question is seriously discriminatory. It is not assumed that heterosexuals are HIV infected when they donate. There are plenty of them who donate, are recently infected, don’t know it, and have contaminated blood. So do you reject all blood in fear of HIV? Of course the answer to that is NO!

As for the report on CNN speaking on the fastest segment of new HIV patients being black women who has a black male partner that engages in sex with men is referring to a recent CDC study that has been misrepresented. The CDC has acknowledged that it can’t make a direct correatlaion between the two. I would recommend that they read Beyond the Downlow by Keith Boyin. He went into the study at length. Its very interesting.

I think it is great that you donated and said no to that question.

Sidebar - I am with Essequibo. "How can black gay men have a monopoly on being responsible fro all things HIV in America?" At what point will people take personal responsibility and protect themselves!

7:01 PM, December 04, 2005  
Blogger Harold Gibson said...

E, I think it is good that you take the time to examine the actions that you take.

I think the question is more outdated than discriminatory. Just like everything else in the world of HIV, the environment continues to change. First the gay disease etc. etc.

7:25 PM, December 04, 2005  
Blogger chase said...

first off, I like your long post so eff whoever doesnt want to read them, lol

while i will get on you if you're having unprotected sex, cause you know it can be a death sentence, i have to agree with the other commenters when they say it is an outdated question.

10:36 PM, December 04, 2005  
Blogger Stone said...

Well do not feel bad its not like the will neglect to do certain test because you said no. they will run the same test. those question are for government purpose so when they do surveys they have those stats. Its really no big deal.

10:53 PM, December 04, 2005  
Blogger @GaryTylone said...

Kind of ironic that he called you a murderer for wanting to give blood to SAVE someone's life...I thought of doing the same thing recently but changed my mind...If they don't want my blood then fuck em...

11:42 PM, December 04, 2005  
Blogger soforeal said...

i just got tested last wednesday and its not even funny how nervous i get before and during. i always practice safe sex but i have had some close calls and waited a while for a test. i had given up on the random hook ups for a few months before to make sure i was good. i almost wanted to kiss wanda who administered the test when she told me a few moments later "youre results are negative"

i finally got tested because i thought of the same thing when they came hunting for blood at our job a few days after Katrina.

1:05 AM, December 05, 2005  
Blogger Dubbed As Trent Jackson said...

Hello,

First off let me say I like you, not in that way, but you're cool, I've seen you around.

I don't think you're a murderer. Eugene makes good points, but having reservations about answering questions honestly is your business. I think the bottom line here is that you get an aids test and make sure you're negative before giving blood...continue to answer the question the way you seem fit, you don't want nobody lookin at you all fucked up and asking a bunch of questions to oblige their curiousity anyway. It's all about personal responsibility

2:49 AM, December 05, 2005  
Blogger lj said...

I used to answer no to that question to. Then I figured that if I answered honestly my blood would be rejected I stopped donating.

7:48 AM, December 05, 2005  
Blogger Waddie G. said...

Eugene was being a bit extreme...straight people can get HIV too, so when they answer the question of not having homosexual sex, then are they murderers when they unkowingly have HIV? That comment was a very myopic one.

11:11 AM, December 05, 2005  
Blogger Mr. Death said...

I understand that you don't want to answer the question that will lead to other questions, and even if you aren't HIV positive, it does concern the health of whoever if recieving the blood, and if they deny you, its probably becasue they're concerned for the health of the reciever.
I don't think your a murderer, but I think you should be more honest in that regard...then again maybe I should go away. *sits in corner*
-JV
love and peace

4:12 PM, December 05, 2005  
Blogger That Dude Right There said...

First, giving blood does temporarily lower your blood pressure. This occurs because the volume of blood in the vessels is decreased. Anytime you lower the volume, but not the capacity of something, pressure decreases.

Second, you can answer the questions anyway that you want to. I use to answer "no" also until I realized that they would reject my blood. Like Valentino said, if they don't want my donation, then fuck them!

4:40 PM, December 05, 2005  
Blogger ShawnQt said...

The Liquid that gives life, can be denied, so do we deny life?

7:57 PM, December 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home