Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Tango With Murder

Cell Block Tango - Various Artists

Pop, Six, Squish, Uh-Uh, Cicero, Lipschitz
Pop, Six, Squish, Uh-Uh, Cicero, Lipschitz
Pop, Six, Squish, Uh-Uh, Cicero, Lipschitz
Pop, Six, Squish, Uh-Uh, Cicero, Lipschitz

Pop, Six, Squish, Uh-Uh, Cicero, Lipschitz
Pop, Six, Squish, Uh-Uh, Cicero, Lipschitz

He had it coming, He had it coming
He only had himself to blame
If you had been there
If you had seen it
I bet ya you would've done the same

You know I need to be doing my speed novel this month. But Hemingway on to the topic at hand.

What is it about the "six merry murderesses of Cook County" that have me so fascinated? We'll get to that answer soon enough.

Anyone that knows me knows that I love the movie Chicago. I wanted to see the show in the theatre when Jasmine Guy headlined it. I never got around to doing so. And how's this for a Half & Half connection? The lovely, mulit-faceted and talented Valarie Pettiford also played Velma Kelly in the theatrical version of the show. Valarie's character Big Dee Dee even shouted out in an episode that Zeta-Jones stole her Oscar. That was the one that guest starred Shemar Moore. Remember now? *LOL*.

I would've loved to have seen Valarie's version too. It's not too shabby that I live in the Chicago area too...*LOL*. But that's just extraneous information that is pure coincidence.

Everytime I go to Midway airport (which isn't often as I'm an O'Hare type of guy), I have to drive into Cicero. And when I reach Cicero Avenue, I say to myself in the same breathy tone as the lovely Catherine Zeta-Jones (did she play Velma to the hilt or what)..'Cicero'. Zeta-Jones was so sexy in the shots where they show her mouthing the word. I especially liked the part where she says the word 'Cicero' while smoke comes out of her mouth. In the words of bimbo Paris Hilton, that was hot!

It's obvious from the get-go that my favorite scene in the movie Chicago is the Cell Block Tango. The set-up to the grand crescendo is really cool. You start off with the leaky faucet that drips two drops at a time. Then there's the guard with the hard boots stomping. It leads to a crescendo of finger nails snapping on the jail cell. Then each merry murderess (including the poor innocent Hunyak) says her word over and over and over, getting louder each time. It makes one wonder (at least it did me), what's behind each of their stories? Roxie apparently is curious too as she takes a seat and listens in.

So again, what is it about the "six merry murderesses of Cook County" that have me so fascinated? There was a great debate at the time the movie first aired how the film seems to be glorifying murder. In the tiniest of ways, I can see the point.

But put yourself in those women's shoes. Listen to these words:
"If you had been there
If you had seen it
I bet ya you would've done the same"

How many times have we been wronged by people in our lives? How many of you have seen your friends getting fucked over by someone and you want so desperately to get your friend to wake up and smell the coffee? Some people fuck with you so bad that thoughts of revenge fester like dandelions on an innocent green lawn.

I think back to my high school days and the number of times I was ridiculed by my so-called peers. Between my thoughts of suicide, you best believe I thought numerous times about getting a gun and shooting those M.F.'s down.

But these little things called conscious and fear streams in and prevents most people from taking that drastic of a measure. Obviously I didn't want to rot in jail for a brief moment of satisfaction. And the satisfaction would be the briefest of feelings, since I'd quickly be remorseful and then feel sadness as I realize the effect it would have on my parents & sisters.

The "six merry murderesses", no matter how trivial some of their reasons were (I mean, shooting someone over popping gum loud? Really!), overcame such notions and had their revenge. Granted a lot of it was spur of the moment and perhaps they may have thought about the consequences afterwards, but nonetheless they got their revenge. And on some deep seeded level, those of us that wanted revenge on someone in the worst way but didn't go through with such plans, got the pleasure of seeing these ladies get their justice, no matter how twisted and trivial (he ran into my knife ten times...I remember the theatre getting a good laugh out of that line, myself included). Ultimately that feeling of pleasure is translated to the main murderesses Roxie and Velma.

That's my reasoning behind my enjoyment of the "Cell Block Tango" and of the movie Chicago. I bet that's why a lot of people like the movie. In fact, I love the "Cell Block Tango" scene so much that I have to play, rewind, and repeat several times (to this day). And each time, I notice something different since there's so much going on during that dream sequence.

So to all you wrong doers out there that cross me and my friends, watch out! One day you may get what's coming. Word to the mutha!

12 Comments:

Blogger M-Dubb said...

You know I've never seen the play, movie, documentary, highlight reel?

And I wanted to do it to support my mistress, Queen Latifah...

10:21 PM, November 02, 2005  
Blogger E said...

Oh yeah, how could I forget Ms. Latifah. All hell the queen! She definitely owned her role.

10:23 PM, November 02, 2005  
Blogger That Dude Right There said...

Oh, my god. I forgot to add this to my profile as one of my favorite movies!

I too love the "Cell Block Tango" scene because I can relate to the women and the spur of the moment retaliations. I want to shoot or slap someone at least once a day.

And Queen Latifah? I don't even need to say anything because "when you're good to Mama, she'll be good to you!"

Guess what will be in my DVD player when I get home.

10:51 PM, November 02, 2005  
Blogger Stone said...

I shall not cross thee. I love that the tango scene too. I love the courtroom scene also

6:41 AM, November 03, 2005  
Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

Yea - um, how about I've never seen Chicago?

12:41 PM, November 03, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True...I've only seen parts of that movie too. But now I have to check out the scene you're talking about.

Meanwhile...I hope nobody betta mess with you or your people E...
*grinz* lemme find out

1:07 PM, November 03, 2005  
Blogger Waddie G. said...

I love the play and the movie...I have to support my city...CHICAGO!!! I also love Catherine Zeta-Jones.

2:13 PM, November 03, 2005  
Blogger E said...

I loved the way Mya said "And Irving"...*LOL*. I think Irving had more to do with Al Lipshitz departure than the others...:-)

I encourage everyone to check it out. Lady In Satin, look past Renee's sickly figure...aside from that, she actually does a great job.

9:20 PM, November 04, 2005  
Blogger Rose said...

I saw the movie. It was pretty good. Queen rocked! I love Jasmine Guy...my daughter and I still watch the reruns of Different World.

12:44 AM, November 05, 2005  
Blogger @GaryTylone said...

Thats my favorite scene too!!! Jasmine Guy did the show !!! Would love to see that!! I love the choreography in that scene...that movie was very well done. I'm sorry I love Valarie too, but I will always remember her as Mariah's mother in Glitter...lol...

10:22 AM, November 07, 2005  
Blogger That Girl said...

I have never seen it...maybe I will now!

5:52 PM, November 07, 2005  
Blogger Marz said...

Never seen it, but I find it funny how television will mess UP our morals. We start rooting for the bad guys to get away with mess. (Hello Prisonbreak. LOL)

Let me tell you how it's midnight and I had to get me some chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, turn on some Karen Clark Sheard, and now I am so into this even the more. (LOL)

11:09 PM, February 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home