Saturday, March 04, 2006

Guilty Pleasures


I'm chilling out at home today listening to Guilty from Barbra Streisand and Barry Gibbs. I was first exposed to Guilty when my Mom used to play the record growing up. My Mom's favorite song from Guilty was Woman In Love. My Mom would sing the song while cooking dinner, cleaning around the house, washing clothes, or whenever the mood hit her. My Mom seemed so happy whenever singing that song.

I never was much of a Streisand fan. Not so much because I didn't like Streisand. Clearly Barbra Streisand has some great pipes. And obviously she has legions of fans and has been singing for well over three decades. I guess for me Streisand was more in my parent's generation and I was looking for my artists that were more current for me. I was an 80's pop kid. My artists of choice include Tears For Fears, Duran Duran, New Edition, Heart, umm, Stacey Q (what, Two of Hearts was the bomb song...*LOL*).

Last year, however, I was poking around Amazon and saw that Streisand and Gibbs reunited and created a new album, appropriately titled Guilty Pleasures. I mean, their last album, nearly 30 years ago was titled Guilty. So the updated title made sense. They even tried to do the same pose, except now it's from the waist up.

I didn't listen to the samples at that time but it made me hanker for their original pairing. So I purchased Guilty and have been grooving to it ever sense. I'm currently digging What Kind of Fool (you know, continuing my whole Foolish Heart theme...*LOL*). I'm beginning to see Barbra Streisand in a different light.

Who knows? Maybe I'll cop and buy their reunited effort. Actually maybe I'll get it for my parent's 36th anniversary. They don't really keep up with musical trends much these days. This will definitely surprise them.

7 Comments:

Blogger No_the_game said...

Hmm u got me thinking. I do not know why nowdays I see things differently. Things I used to hate now makes me love them. Go figure!!!

9:26 PM, March 04, 2006  
Blogger Superstar Nic said...

I have never been a Barbara Streisand fan but I have always liked Barry Gibbs, and all of the BGs for that matter.

That would make a great gift for your parents.

11:24 PM, March 04, 2006  
Blogger Jameil said...

lolol how hilarious is it that you love barb??!! lolol. her face distracts me and all that "please don't talk to me i'm a hermit b.s." i wasn't that impressed when i finally heard her sing. (are you gasping and clutching your heart right now?)

5:37 AM, March 05, 2006  
Blogger lj said...

I've never really liked Babs, her voice was always kind of funny to me.
barry Gibbs and his brothers though....yeah!!!

Two if hearts( I'm afraid that I know that song)

9:56 AM, March 05, 2006  
Blogger BuddahDesmond said...

I can relate to this. My granny absolutely loves Barbra Streisand. I have so many memories of the music that I used to hear when I would go over to her house. There was Barbra Streisand of course, along with Marvin Gaye, Santana, Lonnie Liston Smith, Gloria Estefan, Spyro Gyra and Paul Simon to name few. The Guilty album was a staple. Her two favorite songs were Woman In Love and The Love Inside. I can't say that I always loved Barbra, but I can say that I grew to love her over time.

I bought Guilty Pleasures as a Christmas gift for my granny. She was so happy to receive it. After she opend it up, we sat and listened to it together. It's definitely a good album. I don't know which of the two albums I can say is better than the other. However, i can say that there's no denying how well Barbra Streisand and Barry Gibb's talents have matured.

And you can never go wrong with Barry Gibb or the Bee Gees!

11:20 PM, March 05, 2006  
Blogger SGL CafĂ©.com said...

'Two OF Hearts ...
two hearts that beat as one ...
Two OF Hearts ...
I need ya I need ya ...

---

Okay, enough torture. Now that damn song is gonna stuck in my head all. If I hum it on the train, I'm coming after you.

But I admit it. I'm a big ol' Streisand fan. Since I was little. See ... my mom listened to her too, so I knew all the lyrics to Barbra, Vicky Carr, Shirley Bassey and uh, Tom Jones.

And I usta lip-sync to them when no one was around. I still know the all words to Tom Jones 'Delilah'. Yeah. Don't tell anyone.

Favorite Streisand: The Funny Girl soundtrack. It also happens to be the best musical ever made. Ever.

Yeah. Big ol' stereotypical gay Streisand fan. That's me.

7:57 AM, March 07, 2006  
Blogger Marz said...

I think everyone's grandmother loved Ms. Streisand.

My grandmother, as racist as she wants to be, is always saying. " I LOVE BARBARA". (While in the back I know she's thinking, " even though she's white". MESS)


-Marz

10:46 AM, March 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home