Saturday, February 25, 2006

Oprah Done Did It Now

I broke down and purchased Oprah's 20th Anniversary collection a couple months ago. My younger sis Trina gave me a Circuit City giftcard and I used it to purchase the DVD.

Oprah may be a billionaire that's lost touch with the very people that put her there. She may kiss celebrity ass a bit too much. She may be getting wooed by Travolta, Roberts, and Cruise into joining the Scientology cult and thus gain access to her millions of worshippers. She may have a bit of an ego and a delusional sense of self-importance. But there can be no doubt made on the impact she's made over the years. Star Jones only wishes to have that much influence.



Star: "I heard that E. Fuck you!"






O: "Don't be raining on my parade bitch. Or else I won't introduce you to my bestest friend John Travolta."





Star
: "Sorry. Sorry. Don't ban me, girl. You know it's the bacon craving talking."






E: "Hemingway! What better way to share that then through an anniversary collection that highlights her best moments. Besides the proceeds are supposed to be going to her charity. Ignoring the fact that the Angel Network is a huge tax write off for the O, it's actually rather decent of her.

So as I was saying before getting interrupted by the shrews, I purchased the Oprah DVD. I made it through the first volume. I loved seeing how Oprah got started. Considering the obstacles of being black and heavyset, it was quite an accomplishment headlining her own show. And trumping Donahue in the ratings on day one. It made even the celebrity lovefest portion of the program more tolerable. (There's five more parts to that fest.) I will say that Travolta got some nice abs. But Hemingway.

I popped in the second DVD a couple weekends ago and plopped down in front of the sofa with a nice big breakfast. I went the whole nine yards. Eggs, bacon, grits, pancakes, orange juice. As I watched her most profound moments, I found myself tearing up. I tried shaking it off, chastising myself for crying while watching Oprah, but the tears flowed.

I remember reading Clay's Oprah-crying moment on his blog and thinking that wouldn't happen to me. But damn it, Oprah done made me cry.

There were plenty of moving stories but the one that got me a boo-hooing was the one where a lady who normally went out jogging in the early morning hours with her best friend came back from her routine jog and found all four of her kids shot dead along with her ex-husband, the murder suspect. I was riveted by the story and I lost it when they played her 911 phone call. The bone chilling pain in her voice was so strong. Each of her anguish screams cut me like a knife. The lady was on Oprah sharing her story. What was amazing was the impact that story had on a lot of other viewers. Oprah bought a couple of them in a follow-up show and one lady said she was about to commit suicide that day and stopped herself because of that show.

You just don't know what impact (positive or negative) something on television can have.

I haven't watched any more of the DVD yet. I may succumb to seeing another part, after getting through my Married With Children DVDs."

5 Comments:

Blogger lj said...

I love some Oprah but I don't think I could make it through those DVD's....just be snoring-lol-

You do the best Star Jones

5:34 AM, February 26, 2006  
Blogger SGL CafĂ©.com said...

you've been O'ed, baby.

i haven't been an Oprah fan for some time now, but i now the power that she possesses ... and i also know that she can make the most stoic person boo-hoo in a heartbeat.

that's the power of the O.

3:06 AM, February 27, 2006  
Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

Um - I know I ain't the manliest of men - but, I too only bought the DVD after reading Clay's comments about it...and um - well, I didn't shed one tear. I wanted to - but it didn't move me that much. When I'm back in NYC and settled, I'm going to rewatch them and we'll see what happens.

Coming Into Reality,
-Jamal

8:20 AM, February 27, 2006  
Blogger Cash S. said...

Hmm, I might have to check the DVD out!

5:08 PM, February 27, 2006  
Blogger Marz said...

Maybe it's the oldschool Oprah but when I watch her I don't cry. Some of her touching episodes really just remind me of bigger episodes of Home Makeover. (Then again i've only seen about three epidoes of O ever.) ( I'm such a bad gay black male. LOL)

Married with Children? Isn't that the show where the man always has his hands in his pants? ( It's been so long...)


-Marz

11:24 AM, March 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home