Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Five Miles To Empty

5 Miles To Empty - Brownstone

Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Oh baby
Can we sit down and talk for a minute
You know that we've got a few things
We need to work out, oh yeah
You can, spare me all your sorry details
Had enough of all your lies
And my silence cries

Hurry, hurry, quick, quick
I need a man who's gonna do me right
Hurry, hurry, quick, quick
Somebody who will surely satisfy
When I think of your love
It only makes me stop and wonder
Truly why, oh why
Oh, Why would you make me cry, oh baby

5 miles to empty
My heart is running low, whoa
I need a good man to fill me up
I need a good man to give me love, babe
5 miles to empty
My heart is running low, whoa
I need a good man to fill me up
I need a good man to give me love

Whatever happened to Brownstone? They had some real raw talent in their voices. They sounded like a church choir. I still jam to both of their albums every now and then. They got lost in the sea of girl groups that came out in the 90's. To me, they fell in the middle between En Vogue and SWV.

Nicci Gilbert represented Detroit very well. I remember being excited when I saw her appear on a Martin episode. I said to myself, 'that's Nicci'. I think she may have released a solo album. I may have to check that out.

Of course, I can't forgot Maxi and Mimi and later Kima (who replaced Mimi).

Hemingway I love the blog title song off their Still Climbing LP. Honestly a lot of the lyrics conveys perfectly how I'm feeling at the moment.

Before I elaborate on that, please tell me that I wasn't the only one that replaced 'quick, quick' with 'dick, dick' whenever those words were uttered. I swear, before I even officially started exploring my attraction to guys, whenever I heard the song while in my car by myself, I would sing 'Hurry, Hurry, Dick, Dick'. I still do it today. I am so twelve...*LOL*.

And talk about suggestive. I need a good man to fill me up. Hmmm, fill you up where? And with what? (I'm so in the gutter unlike my bowling ball...*LOL*)

So back to the issue at hand. I was feeling a bit lonely yesterday. It didn't help that the Hallmark induced holiday called "Valentine's Day" was currently being pumped to the masses. I could hear some of my co-employees talking about how they planned on spending their evening with their significant others and it got me thinking. In desperation, I texted my last lay a corporate-y "Happy Valentine's Day" message yesterday afternoon. Michael (not Ealy) had texted me the same message earlier. I texted him back and asked him innocently what his plans were for the evening. I don't know. Maybe it would've been nice to not spend that blasted evening alone. He didn't text back. I guess he was exploring his options. He's been a bit shady the couple times I tried contacting him(like all the men I meet seem to act at some point). A memo to guys. How do you expect a friendship or potential relationship to develop if I have to be the one always trying to maintain it? I may do it initially but eventually it gets old. End of memo. I guess he thought he was doing his good deed by throwing me a "V-Day" bone. Think again.

So I decided to text my last lay that same message. Yeah, that damn blasted holiday was getting to me. Truth is, I missed him and hoped I'd get a response. I suppose I could've called but I was at work and I assumed I'd get his voicemail anyway like I always seem to do. (You think he's avoiding me...*LOL*.) Of course you know I didn't get a response.

I was humming the refrain to Mariah Carey's Breakdown to myself as I wrapped up for the day.

I called Eugene and bitched about the holiday in general. I didn't tell him about my text message fiasco because I wouldn't have heard the end of it from him. Of course, Eugene says that he wasn't even thinking about that blasted holiday. In fact, my talking about it was the most he's heard about it in nearly six years. Damn blasted corporate holiday...*LOL*.

So to make myself feel better I went to Jewel's and bought myself a nice round of Angus steak and pair of lobster legs. I decided to broil the steak instead of frying it, which made all the difference. It was so tender. I saved the tails since the steak I selected was a bit large. I had it with a side of brocolli and for my liquid pleasure, I had some red wine.

I was feeling a little better but I still didn't feel complete. I still, in the words of Brownstone, needed a good man (well at that point, any man...*LOL*) to fill me up. I trolled that infamous site fiercely for that guy.

I found a guy that wouldn't normally get my attention but he had proximity going for him. As a person living in the far west burbs, it's hard connecting real quick with any guys. A lot of them aren't willing to venture into the burbs or patient enough to wait for a suburbanite to venture to them. There's other reasons too but that's what it usually boils down to for me.

So I found that this potential lay resided not far from me. Little did I know that his place of residence was a nearby hotel. I felt a bit cheap as I drove to it. I prayed that no hotel staff would be at the front desk (a staffer was there but his back was to me as I scampered across the lobby...*LOL*).

I knocked on my potential lay's door and he quickly answered. We sheepishly smiled as he let me in. We did some small talk and then we started making out. I could taste the mint listerine from his tongue and it tasted great.

We kept going at it, even simulating the actual act itself. But something came over me. I think he sensed it too. I told him that I wasn't up for intercouse. It just didn't feel right. It was passionate enough, though, that we made noises about hooking up again. We'll see. I eventually got up and left his room.

As I zoomed in the lobby, the hotel staffer turned around. From my side eye, I could see he was eyeing me. I quickly left the hotel without looking him directly in the eye.

I was humming Breakdown again. So when I got back home, I decided to play it on my CD player. I took a long shower and called it a night. So ended that dreaded day.

6 Comments:

Blogger E said...

Update: Apparently my texting had issues. I saw Michael did respond but I got it later even though the timestamp had 02/14. He stated he had plans. So at least he didn't string me along that night. Still nothing from my last lay, though...*LOL*.

8:58 AM, February 16, 2006  
Blogger Cash S. said...

Brownstone is Hot! I still play their CDs as well.

Aww, don't let V-Day get you down. You could have played with some of my toys (new ones of course, not used).

Hurry, Hurry, Dick, Dick!

9:20 AM, February 16, 2006  
Blogger Marz said...

"I'm so in the gutter unlike my bowling ball." MESSSSSSSSS


What is it with gay men and red wine?


Whenever I am in the gay part of Philly, all the gay men sit on their porches at dusk sipping wine.

(I guess I'll find out. MAYBE)

-Marz

9:56 AM, February 16, 2006  
Blogger Rose said...

Brownstone went to the wayside because the leader wanted to do a solo. As usual when that happens you never hear from any of them. They were great!

11:20 PM, February 19, 2006  
Blogger Karamale said...

dude, wussup with xhané?

lol at scampering across the lobby (like a roach).

6:16 PM, February 20, 2006  
Blogger Ya boy Maurice said...

That used to be my song.. Unfortunately my heart has already run low.... Almost on empty.

5:30 PM, February 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home