Friday, February 24, 2006

In Search Of...


I'm in the market for a laptop computer. As much time as I spend on a P.C., it would be cool to have a portable one. It'd especially be useful whenever I travel so that I'm never far away from my blog.

I've searched in the usual haunts. Best Buy. Circuit City. Sam's Club.

I also searched in some unexpected places. E-bay and Overstock.com.

The models on Overstock.com particularly interest me. Plus their prices are much cheaper. But their laptops are said to be refurbished. Would you risk getting a laptop from their online store? If I do decide to get one, I'd definitely have to get the warranty. I normally pass up the warranty when shopping at the major brick and mortars. For example, I didn't get one for my current desktop and it's still going 4 years strong. I bought it at Best Buy and you know they were pushing me big time to get one. That's how they get their commissions. At one point, they had three of their employees bumrushing me to get one. I was this close to cancelling my purchase. But I persevered.

So I need opinions. Would you purchase a refurbished laptop from overstock.com if it meant saving a couple hundred dollars?

Here's a sampling of what they got. Let a brother know. PEACE!

4 Comments:

Blogger WATER said...

No refurbished laptop. Get a Sony Vaio (I have that and it's great) OR a Apple iBook MAC (I'm GETTING THAT)...;)

1:11 PM, February 24, 2006  
Blogger Cash S. said...

Yeah definitley don't get a refurbished laptop. I'm with Karsh, the IBM Thinkpad is hot!

7:16 PM, February 24, 2006  
Blogger Rose said...

Refurbish, I wouldn't trust. It's like to me buying a used car-somebody's else junk usually. I think you can purchase a new one look into Office Max and Office Depot they haave the great rebate programs.

10:57 PM, February 24, 2006  
Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

I made the mistake of buying a refurbished computer and I got refurbished quality. I still have it and it works - but the quality is worth shit. Spend the money on a real investment - make sure you have homeowners/renters insurance and keep it moving.

12:00 AM, February 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home