Sunday, February 12, 2006

It's Our Anniversary

Today marks the one year date that Eugene and I first chatted with each other. I laugh thinking about how our friendship began. A week before that date I shot him a message but he didn't respond. But something told me to keep trying. I liked what he said on his A4A profile. So I continued to send a message to him. He finally responded to me and said that I wasn't his type. He usually liked his guys a bit more muscular. He said that I was handsome, though, and that if I weighed twenty more pounds it'd be on like Donkey Kong. I told him I just got some weights and I was trying to get more definition. He told me not to tease him.

We exchanged digits and a week or so later we started chatting on the phone.

The conversations were really great. Right away I got a "big brother" vibe from him. He seemed to really care about the things that were going on in my life. I shared with him the few ups, mostly downs I had with Vince and Aaron among other dilly dallies I've had in the last year. He knows about all my dates and encounters I've had in the last year and he's managed to squeeze a few confessions of my past indiscretions. He's a "human lie detector machine" as he likes to put it...*LOL*.

He knows about my blog. And he knows that I write about him sometimes. But he doesn't care to read it. Since I tell him just about everything, he doesn't really have to.

There's one thing I like and dislike about Eugene (well among other things...*LOL*). He doesn't sugarcoat his opinions at all. If he thinks you're wrong, he'll let you know. Lord knows I need to hear it even if I don't want to. I appreciate him for that. I try to do the same for him, even though I still come from the "shower them with honey instead of vinegar" school. Even after we cuss each other out and hang up mad, we always call the next day as if nothing is wrong.

We talk to each other almost daily, several times a day in fact. For the last couple months, he's been giving me 7AM wake-up calls. I can hear his voice now. "Get yo lazy, shiftless, negro ass up." *LOL*.

We're so comfortable with each other that recently we even sing on the phone to each other. That's something that I almost never do with anyone. Unfortunately yours truly doesn't have the singing chops of Gary Taylor, Luther Vandross, or even whiny ass Keith Sweat (*LOL*). And neither does Eugene, even though he's always saying "no autographs please". My response is always "none requested". Good times.

After all the phone calls, we finally met after Christmas break when we were both in Detroit visiting our respective families. As I blogged in that entry, we instantly bonded and had a brotherly type relationship. One thing I forgot to mention, when I was texting him at the train station, he mentioned that he saw me doing it and suspecting that it was me, he turned off his phone. Jackass. (And I say that in the nicest way...*LOL*)

He's taught me so much. And I'm still learning.

With our 1 year anniversary today, he becomes my longest "gay" friendship. Not that I need to categorize it as "gay" since we're much more than that word. We're brothers. And we'll be friends for life. I just feel it.

I sent him a card in the mail expressing my appreciation for him being there for me. I know he appreciates me too.

Happy Anniversary brother!

7 Comments:

Blogger Karamale said...

that was nice, man. good to know someone's got your back. good to know you cherish that.

4:56 PM, February 12, 2006  
Blogger heartbreaker said...

i just got some weights too funny


that's a GREAT story, man... i don't have many "gay" friends, although i just came out to this dude at work who's pretty cool, and wouldn't leave me alone asking me how my "boyfriends... oh, my bad... i mean GIRLfriend" was doing... i got pissed at him and was like "WHY are you trying so hard to get that outta me?" but after that day, we've been getting along, plus he's the first person I've ever been THAT comfortable with talking to like that... it's weird, and my bf is like Eugene, in that he just gives his opinion and doesn't sugarcoat ANYTHING... that's a good thing, but it drives me CRAZY... i'm like "damn, be empathetic for once" lol... great story -PEACE-

6:31 PM, February 12, 2006  
Blogger antneya said...

That was a beautiful story..I smiled as I read it...boy to be in love again!!!!

9:00 PM, February 12, 2006  
Blogger Rose said...

I am glad that you have a friend that you can talk to, sing with and share your feelings with...

10:50 PM, February 12, 2006  
Blogger E said...

I think what helped our friendship too was that we're both part of Cingular. He told me that he wouldn't be calling my ass everyday if he actually had to pay for the minutes...*LOL*.

10:59 PM, February 12, 2006  
Blogger lj said...

AWWW...That was so special. Happy Aniversary!!!

4:13 AM, February 13, 2006  
Blogger Marz said...

AWWWW. It's great having good friends.

Especially the kind that can remember that day they first met. My friends can't remember my birthday. (I can't remember theirs either. LOL)


-Marz

9:58 AM, February 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home