Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Career In Arrears

These last few days on the job have been crazy. As a technical analyst at my firm, one of my roles is to act as a liaison between the business users and the other technical areas that may be called upon to assist the business users meet their needs. It was the classic business users asking for more than was really needed. I nearly lost it in last Friday's meeting. The funny thing is that my way of letting people know I was pissed was being extra nonchalant. If they asked for something that needed to be done, I would say 'oh sure, whatever'. All everyone could do was sheepishly laugh. Luckily the meeting was over the phone so I didn't have to face anyone.

Fortunately after coming up with a comprehensive cost analysis of what they wanted done, the business came to their senses today. But that won't last long...:-)

I also got some interesting news from a former team member (let's call him Shazamm) that works in a different area of the company now. He told me that two ladies (both who are black and actually both very nice) were fired from the job yesterday. The scoop I heard was that both were rated below expectations by their manager (they had the same one). One of the ladies Shazamm told me was placed on a thirty day probation period. From what he's heard, once you're placed on probation at my company, it's pretty much the point of no return. Plus the policy is to release below expectations folks from the company.

The disturbing thing is that both ladies were black. Whenever that happens, one can't help (well most can't) but wonder if the firings were racially motivated. Shazamm wasn't sure if the other lady was placed on probation or not. He was shocked because he walked over to her cube earlier today and found all her stuff gone, including the name tag.

He found out about the lady on probation due to her calling him in the office via her cellphone from outside the building.

From the way I'm describing the ladies, it's as if I didn't know them. But I have chatted with both on and off once in a blue moon. I was sad to hear the news.

I know the one that was on probation was looking to get out of the group she was in. She definitely didn't care much for her manager (who happens to be a white lady). No doubt that probably had to do with the reviews.

I've worked with the other lady on a project before a few years back and never had any problems with her. She seemed relatively competent in her position. One of the business users gave her some flack once but that user was being a bit of a dick to her and she reacted.

Needless to say, it has a few of us wondering. There've been a couple other folks, mostly black, that were let go within the last year or so. I myself am currently in good standings with my SLAB and management (in fact they seem to be singing my praises...*LOL*) but you just never know. You always have to watch your back.

Speaking of the job front, my SLAB actually asked me today if I gave any thought to pursuing an M.B.A. Honestly I hadn't given it much thought, due to my desire not to be in management. He mentioned that my company recently spent money on getting the cirriculum from some university (I don't know who) and have the courses available on-site.

From what I understand, the classes would be once a week. Each course would run me a little over two grand (yowsie...*LOL*) but the company will reimburse me (assuming I pass).

The total length of the program would be four years. That's the monkeywrench. My dream plans call for me to leave my job next April. You know, my whole dream of being a daytrader, which I totally need to prepare for. You know, I need enough of a buffer to cover basic living expenses (mortgage, COBRA - 18 months at least, food, etc.).

If I were to do this M.B.A., I would likely have to commit to four more years working at the company. It may be longer as I'm sure if the company's spending all this money for the M.B.A., they won't want me walking immediately afterwards.

Working at the company wouldn't be a bad thing (benefits wise). Leaving in 2007 would actually cost me some long-term bonus in stock that would be paid to me in 2008. Also I wouldn't be able to take advantage of their discount share program that I'm putting money aside for that'll mature in 2008. Speaking of which, they didn't offer any long-term bonuses this year. (Guess they don't want to make us peon(s) that rich...*LOL*.)

But doing so would mean deferring the dream a bit longer. From what I hear, doing an M.B.A. is hell on earth (depending on the course). I know I won't be able to take as much week long vacations. Though it's not like I take many of those now..:-) Then a lot of the classes involve working with others. It's not that I have a problem working with others. But from experience, I always end up with someone that totally slacks on the job.

I don't know. There's no hurry in making the decision. But from what I hear, management has one allotted slot for the opportunity. Two of the people in my group are already doing their own M.B.A. programs and the others (due to near retirement and/or families) aren't interested. So I, being the youngest member of the group and single and no dependents, stand out like a sore thumb.

I mean, could I use an M.B.A. later on in life? I guess if I were to do it, I'd be 38 by the time I finish it.

As much as I rat on SLAB, I have to admit begrudgingly that he's actually not that bad of a manager. Annoying, yes. I mean, Slightly Less Annoying. But not bad. SLAB's definitely given me food for thought.

4 Comments:

Blogger Karamale said...

ALWAYS watch your back, bruh. don't trust em as far as you can throw em.

12:49 PM, March 23, 2006  
Blogger Jameil said...

yeah... i'm considering going back to school, too. altho my company is not nearly as generous on that front. i like the school but i have no desire to be in this city for the minimum 2 years it will take for me to complete my masters. no way. and you should see the crazy confused looks on people's faces when i say i don't want to stay in pittsburgh. um... why not? its cold. and dark.

8:11 PM, March 23, 2006  
Blogger nosthegametoo said...

Ah... there's nothing like interoffice politics.

Ain't it interesting and boring at the same time??

12:15 AM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger Shelia said...

I say go for it...because if they do decide to give you the boot...you'll still have that MBA...throw them a kiss when you walk out the door if that happens.

12:48 PM, March 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home