Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Twisted Luck

I was conducting my weekly status meeting at my job this morning. The only people in the room were my SLAB, Witty, and Lucky. There was a break in the meeting and SLAB was going on about his bad luck in the real estate market. He's currently paying two mortgages because his old home hasn't sold, even after dropping the price several thousand dollars. Lucky mentioned his recent real estate transaction, which he sold his home last December for $20,000 over the asking price. I had no idea Lucky even sold his house, though it's not like we chat much about personal stuff. SLAB was giving Lucky a hard time (in a joking way I think...*LOL*) about his luck. Lucky put his house on the market in the morning and by the end of the day he settled on the final offer, which was elevated due to a bidding war. The buyers wanted to move in fifteen days later so he and his wife had to hussle. I believe he got extra money because of that. So of course, SLAB is going over the top with his jealousy, even faking trying to have Witty hold him back. (Yeah SLAB's annoying like that, well Slightly Less Annoying...*LOL*.) After the crazy fake out, Witty left the room.

Moments later Lucky casually threw out that the reason they needed to sell the house was because they were going through a divorce. SLAB's jaw dropped several feet as did mine. I was dumbfounded as Lucky went over how the divorce was a bit of a nightmare with having to divvy out the assets and his wife's lawyer being a dick. Lucky and his wife had celebrated their 20th wedding anniversary last April with a vacation in Hawaii. I felt a bit pained as Lucky said they almost made it to their 21st anniversary. He said that he couldn't explain why the divorce was happening but it wasn't because of the typical reasons like infidelity, abuse, etc. It was weird.

But what amazed me was how Lucky handles himself on the job. He conducts himself normally (the few times I see him since he works in a different office from me) and doesn't appear to be any more stressed than usual. Lucky has this self-deprecating sense of humor that at first bugged me but I grew to find it fascinating. He's a really good guy and I was truly sorry to hear that he's in the process of getting divorced. It makes the trivial shit I bitch about on my blog seem so small.

I hope things work out for Lucky.

I think I'll save my trivial stuff for another post.

3 Comments:

Blogger Marz said...

Your blog isn't trivial.

( I'mma hold my tongue about marriage and divorce. LOL)


-Marz

9:41 AM, March 16, 2006  
Blogger That Girl said...

I think all my posts are trivial. Trivial posts are good! We need that moment to just say whatever.

10:35 AM, March 18, 2006  
Blogger princessdominique said...

That's interesting it shows how different people handle change with seemingly no indication that there's anything going on.

12:46 PM, March 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home