Monday, November 28, 2005

Turkey Holiday 2005

Hey everyone. E's back in the saddle.

The most eventful part of my "turkey" holiday was getting to Detroit. There were patches of Indiana and Michigan where there was blizzard-like conditions. The roads in certain areas of the expressway were slick. I found my Cavalier slipping and sliding in some spots. It was a bit unnerving. I also saw a dozen cars on the side of the road, a lot of them I suspect from spinouts.

All I could think was...please let me make it to see my folks. Surely I was meant to have my Mom's home cooking one last time. Surely I jest not..:-)

Thankfully I made it through the storm and drove into calmer roads. It was a little stop and go here and there. But I made it obviously.

The long weekend was spent hanging primarily with my parents. My older sis Tasha ate with us for Thanksgiving but my younger sis Trina was a no-show. From what I learned, Trina and her guy recently closed on a new home together. How together, as far as whether it's in both names, I've no clue.

I drove my Mom to several different stores on Friday, all of them thankfully not at a major mall outlet. The fascination people have with hanging out all night after eating turkey waiting for some brick-n-mortar slab (err, not my boss...*LOL*) to open their doors is beyond me. Heaven forbid I find myself in the overly replayed scenario that Grand Rapids woman put herself in. I heard in the melee she was desperately looking for her weave. Nothing like having that search displayed over and over again on national TV.

I drove my Dad Saturday to Sam's in search for anti-virus software for his PC as well as more items my Mom needed. (Heh...my Mom likes to buy in bulk.) I also later on helped my Dad with some of his PC issues. Later that night, I was in the mood to listen to some old French LP's that my Mom used to play growing up. An old record player that hadn't been played in years was luckily working. I got to relive and sing along with artists like Mireille Matthieu and Julio Iglesias. Both artists, of course, have recorded albums in French, Spanish, Italian, and English among other languages. It was cool reliving the memories, especially since my Mom and I got into singing the songs again.

I spent Sunday afternoon driving my Mom to Sears to use her gift card from last year and later on to K-Mart. Didn't they like merge? *LOL* For some reason, I had a bad case of the runs at K-Mart. TMI I know...but that was about the most exciting thing that happened, aside from me flirting with a female cashier at Sears, hoping to get a discount. It didn't work...*LOL*. As much as I prayed to be able to make it home, I unfortunately knew I couldn't. I was forced to do "the 2" at K-Mart. I crouched the entire time, refusing to sit on the nasty seat. That's about as much of that nasty memory as I want to share since I already shared too much...*LOL*.

My Mom and I bonded even more after dinner over Desperate Housewives. She's a fan of the show as well. We ooohed as Gabby was confronted with an uncoventional nun who seems to be trying to take Carlos away from her. We ahhhed as Bree realized the depths of George's crazy. I even played a bit with one of the cats, Scaredycat has warmed up to me quite a bit. Though it's mostly the prospect of food that he's warmed up to. Let no stranger keep him away from a meal. PMScat has resorted to hiding behind the sofa almost the entire time of my visit. The few times we were in the same vicinity, she scampered away like the scared PMScat she is. My last night in town she hissed at me. It was like old times all over again..:-)

Of course a few family issues creeped up. Maybe one day I'll go into them a bit more depth.

But all in all it was a cool weekend. My return trip was incredibly quick, thanks to the nice weather and fewer traffic.

It's back to work tomorrow for yours truly. Boo hiss.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Welcome home E.

Check your e-mail.

12:53 AM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger M-Dubb said...

I'm so glad you made it home safely. But the KMart experience...

"And I don't have to go right now..."

TMI... lol

2:15 AM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger nosthegametoo said...

Hope the holiday brought memories worth remembering. Welcome back.

9:07 AM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger D-Place said...

Yeah boo hiss to being back at work. My thanksgiving sounded a lot like yours except instead of the runs..I had the flu.

11:30 AM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Harold Gibson said...

Glad you made it there and back. You were oh so right about the TMI in your recounting of your visit to the KMart facilities. I am still trying to get that visual out of my head. This is a nightmare indeed. :)

8:29 PM, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Marz said...

MESS.

Your holiday was more than interesting than mine. And good job in K-mart, they found that those little coverings don't work at all. LOL

-Marz

5:41 PM, November 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home