Wednesday, July 23, 2008

R.I.P. Estelle


I was working out Tuesday night at my work gym and was shocked to see the streaming news on CNN announce Golden Girl Estelle Getty passing away at 84. I wasn't shocked in the sense that she passed. Estelle was sick for a very long time with Lewy Body Dementia. Estelle was also a big supporter of gay rights from what I've heard. It was indeed sad to hear of her passing. But if nothing else, she's in peace now.

I spent tonight consoling Eugene and Rock, who both stated Sophia was their favorite character. We were reminiscing over some of her best one-liners on the show. Remember these?

Sophia had quite a few fart jokes:

"Oh, I thought I was safe backed up against these pillows."

"Hey! Who told you to feed me cabbage?"

"That was me, and thank you for calling it to everyone's attention!"

Zingers on Blanche:

Blanche: "I think I'm going to sit in the tub with just enough water to cover my perky bosoms."
Sophia: "You're only gonna sit in an inch of water??"

Blanche: "...Sophia."
Blanche's Date: "You must be Blanche's sister."
Sophia: "You must be blind."

Blanche: "I'm gorgeous. I'm going to have to meet men lying down."
Sophia: "I thought you did."

Blanche: "I'm abhorred."
Sophia: "We know what you are Blanche. I'm glad to finally hear you admit it."
Blanche: "Sophia, I said abhorred."
Sophia: "Abhorred. A slut. A tramp. It's all the same thing."

Zingers on Rose:
Rose: "He's a very heavy sleeper!"
Sophia: "You could light firecrackers in his nose, he still wouldn't wake up!!!"

Sophia: 'You know Rose, I'm really enjoying this. You and I having a quiet cup of coffee together."
Rose: "Me too Sophia. Because you know-"
Sophia: "I said quiet."

Dorothy: "You don't get cramps once a month. You don't go on eating binges once a month. You don't get crazy once a month."
Sophia: "You just grow a beard!"
Rose: "I never grew a beard!"
Sophia: "You never grew brains, either!"

Rose: "Dorothy's the smart one, Blanche is the sexy one and Sophia, you're the old one, and I'm the nice one. Everybody always likes me."
Sophia: "The old one isn't so crazy about you!

Zingers on Dorothy:
Dorothy: "I don't want two grown men fighting over me."
Sophia: "Pussycat, how many chances are you going to get?"
Dorothy: "Proceed."

Sophia: "Dorothy, when was the last time you had sex?"
Dorothy: 'That's a very personal question."
Sophia: "That long, huh?"

Dorothy: "We are not jealous, Ma. We are angry. You left us sitting in jail."
Sophia: "Jealousy is a very ugly thing, Dorothy. And so are you in anything backless?"

Dorothy: "If I had lived with Stan before we got married, I could've spared us both some very painful times...and a bitter divorce."
Sophia: "And possibly had given birth to reasonably attractive children."

Sophia: "What the hell are you doing home? I thought you had a 4 o'clock beauty parlor appointment."
Dorothy: "I did. They finished with me early."
Sophia: "On Christie Brinkley they can finish early. You need every minute you can spare."

Rest in Peace, Estelle. Your body of work on the Golden Girls will live on.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

I loved the golden girls - I'm goign on amazon to order some seasons and going to spend all weekend watching them.

8:05 AM, July 23, 2008  
Blogger ShawnQt said...

awww, I love that show! Especially the music when it first comes on!

9:53 AM, July 23, 2008  
Blogger j_most said...

Remember the line when she said "I manage to live 80, 81 years..survived a stroke..One day i'll belch and Stable Mable will blow my head off" LOL

It was the episode when Rose had the gun for protection

10:33 PM, July 23, 2008  
Blogger Sparkle Bell said...

I loved her too man...it's sad. Did you know she was actually one of the youngest cast members?

9:05 PM, July 24, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sophia was the shit...the inner fag in all of us personified...say what you think...say what you mean...shit, just say it.

12:31 PM, July 26, 2008  
Blogger Ty said...

Wow, when I saw the RIP under her name, my heart really became saddened as if she was a family member. I love me some Golden Girls. RIP Estelle

4:52 PM, August 06, 2008  
Blogger Cash S. said...

u still alive?

10:23 AM, August 07, 2008  
Blogger Bernard Bradshaw said...

hey E,

I need you to call me and set up something with our friend. email me ok?

bernard

4:31 AM, August 08, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home