Monday, July 21, 2008

Sag Drag

I've always cracked up whenever shopping with my Mom at Sears and seeing a huge line of clothes with the label Sag Harbor. Apparently that label sells a lot of apparel. But with the stigma of having saggy breasts, I'm surprised they sell as much as they do with such a name. Sag Harbor's been around for a while, though, so I guess women are able to look past the corny name.

Hemingway having a sag may be a thing of the past in the Chicago suburb of Lynwood. The village of Lynwood passed an ordinance fining folks who show three inches or more of their underwear in public $25.

The ordinance has already caused controversy. The ACLU says it unfairly targets young men of color.

I don't know if that's necesarily true. I've seen plenty of young white men with their draws sticking out. I never understood the appeal but then again I'm 35 going on 36.

I read the news this morning and thought it was an interesting topic. Does this law infringe upon basic rights? Does passing this law put Lynwood one step closer to passing another ordinance telling folks what they actually have to wear?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

The law definitely infringes upon rights - but the powers that be think that's going to stop the rising violence rates. We shall see.

1:07 PM, July 21, 2008  
Blogger bLaQ~n~MiLD said...

I read a article about some other place in the south that passed the same law. I was never into saging either and it does annoy me to no end. Personally I don't believe the law will stand up in court but what do I know... I'm still 'studying' my LSAT book LMAO.

~Damnit!

2:21 PM, July 21, 2008  
Blogger yet another black guy said...

i'm torn about this. why are we using the law and it's tax dollars for bad parenting? if we must, then fine the parents, i'll bet that would make it stop, knowing you're coming home to an ass whooping!

1:00 AM, July 23, 2008  
Blogger That Dude Right There said...

Like I said on another blog, laws like these are the reason that young people should register to and then go and vote.

7:31 AM, July 25, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home