Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Follow

Follow - Gary Taylor

[Verse 1]
I'll follow you wherever you go

I'll follow you....forever
I'll follow you and you'll always know

My love for you is...forever


[Verse 2]
I'll follow you to the end of the Earth

I'll follow you...forever

I'll follow you for whatever it's worth

My love for you is...forever


[Verse 3]
I'll follow you for more than a day

I'll follow you...forever

I'll follow you just to hear you say
Your love for me is...forever


I've been mentioning Gary Taylor a lot in my blog lately. Follow is a simple ballad from his first album Compassion. It's a ballad with such few words. The first minute of the song is purely instrumental with an occasional grunt from Gary. It isn't until the one and a half minute mark that you hear Gary's first words. However Gary makes the most of those few words. It's definitely powerful to say that you'll follow someone forever. Can you imagine in real life finding someone that you would do that for (other than family)?

I decided to upload the song via my Jumpcut account so everyone can listen to it. Hemingway I thought of the song earlier today as Rock shared some interesting information.

Hemingway Rock's told me before that he doesn't want to live in Rockford forever. I mean I've been there a few times and I honestly can't say I blame him. When I say the town is boring, I mean it's b-o-r-i-n-g. Okay if you enjoy restaurants and general activities like movies, shopping, etc., then there are some good places to go. But Rockford's a pretty backward area to live in as far as cities. I live in a slightly more progressive burb and even I can't see myself living there forever, even though it's going on 8 years. But this comes from the brother who said he'd leave his job a year ago...so there you go. *LOL*. Speaking of the job, so much is going on there (not sure if it's for the better just yet....but I'll have to blog about that another time).

So yesterday morning Rock mentions that he received a call last night from his close friend Stoney in New York. Stoney mentioned to Rock that an ex-boyfriend of his (Stoney's not Rock's) works for a major accounting firm that's looking for 'black accountants'. Rock seemed pretty excited by the prospect even though nothing's happened yet. Rock said if the money was right, he would immediately jump at the chance to relocate elsewhere. I told Rock I'd follow him wherever he goes...as long as it's not Timbuktu or something. I said it rather quickly and actually a few times we've discussed relocating before I told him the same.

You see, it wasn't long ago I was looking for a change of scenery. I had flirted with the thought of moving to Seattle or Charlotte in the last couple years but the former didn't materialize because I found it boring while the latter didn't mostly because I met Rock. But I totally feel like I'm ready for a new adventure myself. Well I've been ready for a while.

After I hung up with Rock this morning, the gravity of what I said hit me. I'm talking about following a man wherever he goes. It seems so crazy. One only has to think of the back and forth motions Rock and I go through to question the sanity. One week we're doing great, the next we're on the verge of breaking up.

This past Sunday was the first time Rock and I had seen each other in almost three weeks. I actually purposely made myself busy but Rock was determined to meet me. Originally I was supposed to head to Detroit for Easter weekend with Sally but Sally chickened out with the weather and I decided not to risk it myself.

Rock was content to meet me the following weekend but since my trip didn't happen, I told Rock that I would make a quick trip this weekend. So not wanting to go a month without seeing me, he decided he needed to find a way to see me Easter weekend.

One of the issues that was happening though is that Rock was determining when we would see each other. It was advised by my bff Eugene that I purposely make myself unavailable just so I'm not always there at Rock's beck and call. The reasoning being that Rock doesn't always make himself available when I want to see him yet I've always been available for him.

So since I didn't go home Easter weekend, I suggested to Sally that I attend Easter service with her and then we go to lunch afterwards. Sally was game.

I told Rock about my plans and feigned like I forgot that I made them earlier before agreeing to meet with Rock on Sunday, even though I had made the plans with Sally after the fact. But Rock was determined to see me and since he would be out of town this week for work, he wouldn't even be available to meet half way for dinner. Then by the time he got back, I would be making my way to Detroit for the weekend. Note that I've made these same suggestions to Rock weeks earlier but he wasn't "up for seeing me".

So Rock was trying to figure something out and I couldn't bring myself to saying that I wasn't up for seeing him. It was harder since my "non-juice" ass was up for seeing him...*LOL*. So I made the suggestion that maybe he could hang out with Sally and I during lunch. He was game.

So he wound up meeting Sally and I for lunch. He even texted me with the idea of us paying for Sally's lunch. I thought it was a nice gesture on his part. I had mentioned to him Sally's continued search for a new job and how so far things haven't turned up for her. Of course Sally was appreciative that we covered her tab.

Afterwards Rock and I sat in his truck and talked for a few minutes before going our separate ways. It felt like we really missed each other and Rock kept mentioning how he had to see me this weekend since he hadn't seen me prior. He told me later on how inconvenient the afternoon lunch was for him (since he wanted to be back in Rockford early enough to pack for his work trip...him and his early planning and all...*LOL*) but that he wanted to make the extra effort to see me and let me know that he wanted to see me. I reminded Rock how in the first few months of our relationship, we made more of an effort to see each other. He remembered and agreed that we needed to work our way back to that level.

It was a sweet conversation. I swear I wanted to kiss him so bad but since we weren't in boystown or somewhere private, I couldn't. So we just smiled, touched each other's hands, and I left to walk towards my car.

So Hemingway back to the topic at hand. If I were to follow Rock, the next question would be would we live together. Could we live together? Part of me thinks it would be better for us to still live separately initially just so we could get used to having our own space. Then hopefully if we continue progressing, we move in together.

It would probably be better that way initially since neither of us are officially out with our family and friends. I could see my parents (especially my Mom) flipping out if I told her I was moving to live with a guy. It'd be easier to say I'm moving because of a job opportunity. Hmm. I guess until the stock thing takes off I would need to find another job. I'm pretty sure I could find a decent job wherever we go.

It's definitely a big step. I never thought I'd find anyone that I'd even consider doing it with.

So in short, yes, I'd follow Rock wherever he goes. I'll follow Rock...forever.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Cash S. said...

Rockford... eww

That would definitely be a big step. If the opportunity presents itself, go for it. Definitely get seperate places in the beginning though.

You could use that to come out to your parents. Tell them you're moving to NY with you man. No if, ands, or buts about it!

12:25 PM, March 26, 2008  
Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

Really - you'd follow him like that, huh? Be sure because moving in w/a guy is nothing minor.

8:21 AM, March 27, 2008  
Blogger That Dude Right There said...

I did it back in 02 and don't regret it one bit. We had been together for 2 years and he got transferred to Atlanta from Birmingham. If you love this man, and you both see that you 2 have the plans to stick together through thick and then, then don't hesitate to move.

9:29 AM, March 28, 2008  
Blogger E said...

cash...actually the location isn't New York. Not that I wouldn't mind NY, you just need lots of money to make it there...and I probably couldn't afford to live alone so we'd move in together by necessity.

darius...I think I mentioned somewhere in my entry that it's a big step...*LOL*. I'm definitely not taking it lightly.

TDRT...thanks for the words of wisdom and giving me your perspective of being in a similiar situation. Nothing has happened yet in regards to opportunity but I hope it happens since I'd love to get away from my current job...*LOL*.

9:56 PM, March 28, 2008  
Blogger BuddahDesmond said...

If you'd follow him wherever, then I guess you're ready to make the next big step. If it feels right then do it. I may be heading down the move-in path at some point as well. There's still much to discuss and lots of ground that needs to be covered before that happens though.

Have a great weekend!

11:20 PM, March 28, 2008  
Blogger Harold Gibson said...

Alright I know this is just me. I do not know you personally, but sometimes E you make me want to shake you silly! I am as confused by this post as Pat Buchannan would be at a Jeremiah Wright revival. How do you say you would follow a guy or a girl or any person in between where ever when they rarely go out of their way to see you.

It used to take a ring, a date and a reception hall, man, I must be old as dirt for real because I just don't get it. There seems to be so many open issues, family etc etc and not to be overlooked your "juice level."

10:58 AM, March 29, 2008  
Blogger Cash S. said...

:-) oh sorry.

8:30 PM, March 29, 2008  
Blogger E said...

buddahdesmond: Rock and I do have a lot to discuss as well, though I feel like we could do our best to make it work.

harold gibson: If I didn't know better, I'd say you were Eugene in disguise. I hear you, that's all I can say.

cash s: Actually he later mentioned that it would be in NY. That kind of changes things as I'm not really feeling NY as a permanent residence..:-)

11:48 PM, April 01, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home