Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Satiating Eugene

Eugene is out of (his) town taking part in some research program at Ohio State. He's in the middle of his second week there. In the midst of all his research, he couldn't help but notice that Ohio State has more than their fair share of muscular white jocks. Almost daily he would tell me about the sights.

I could hear the excitement in his voice as he went on about this buff ass security guard at one of the campus's many libraries. He even decided to strike a conversation with the guy just to check him out some more. The guard obliged as he answered Eugene's query onto why security was needed at the library.

One of Eugene's observations is that white guys (gay or straight) tend to be more socially skilled than black guys. Take a muscle white guy vs. a muscle black guy and he says you're more likely to get into a longer conversation with the white guy. Eugene's theory is that black guys tend to only look out for #1 and are only interested in chatting with a random stranger if there's money or sex involved. The exception to this rule is African guys since in his experience they tend to be just as conversational as white guys.

As much as I hate Eugene's generalizations, I couldn't help but think about how I interact (or don't) with strangers. My tendency is to want to go through my motions as quickly as possible. Usually if strangers try to chat with me, I tend to give quick, short answers and go on about my business. I mean I've always been taught not to talk to strangers. But the only way to have friends is ironically to talk to strangers since friends start out as strangers. What a strange paradox.

I then think about some of those same interactions where I stayed in a conversation longer. A lot of times I think I wanted to take off but the other party (usually white) kept the conversation going longer.

So then I wonder. Is the generalization that Eugene makes true? Personally to a degree I think he may be right but I just think that white guys also have sex and money on the brain but are smarter about biding their time (assuming that's what they want from you). By biding time I don't mean months later but at least they'll wait till the third date. *LOL*

But surely black guys can't always have money and dick on the brain? So why won't they (in general - my words...*LOL*) stick around and chat longer? Could one argument be that due to slavery, blacks have in general feel others to be untrustworthy, even their own brothers? Could it be the pressures of today's society gets black men down?

Who knows? I pondered this as Eugene was going crazy about the muscle white jocks he was seeing and questioning how skinny women could satisfy them. I was almost going to write in detail Eugene's rant but then realized I blogged about it before.



Hey sexy, I only want to ask you what time it is? *LOL*


Time to go work out and stare at some guys...:-)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Ladynay said...

Well I can say this which is sorta kinda similar...most of my "lighter" coworkers are willing to talk you to death about stuff I don't care about. That or stuff about their personal life I didn't ask about. Make me think twice sometimes about asking how they are doing after we exchange good mornings. So Eugene may have a point.

8:41 AM, July 18, 2007  
Blogger That Dude Right There said...

"blacks have in general feel others to be untrustworthy, even their own brothers?"

I think that this is one of the contributing factors. I think that I was told about a thousand times "don't trust white people" and "look out for yourself because no one else is gonna do it".

So I know that I generally have a distrust of people and don't want to talk to them.


Thanks for this post though. It will really help me think about my interactions with strangers.

11:39 AM, July 18, 2007  
Blogger yet another black guy said...

hmmm, interesting post. i was just wondering why is it that white people are more than willing to tell you about their tax returns, premature babies, adopted puppies and grandma's Alzheimer's.

black folks always have the 'what goes on in this house, stays in this house' mentality. maybe, it's from trying to hide doing well from others.

7:57 PM, July 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home