Thursday, August 02, 2007

Little Boy Happy

It's been a long wait for me but among the population of releases for next Tuesday is Season 2 of Soul Food. To say I've been looking forward to this release would be the understatement of the year. I had my first official glimpse of Soul Food when Season 1 was released on DVD so many years back. I want to say April 2003.

I had heard of the groundbreaking drama series on Showtime when it first aired. But I was too cheap to get the channel and didn't really know anybody that well that had it and would want to watch it. So I would only hear snippets of what was going on.

So longer story short, I pre-ordered the first season DVD and watched all the episodes within three or four days. I got my older sister Tasha hooked on it too when she came to visit me over the 2003/2004 New Year holiday. It was how we rung in the New Year. I didn't even mind watching it again as I got excited seeing my sister's reactions to the episodes.

So you know as soon as I get my pre-ordered Season 2 DVD of Soul Food next week, that it's on.

I was even reminded of one of the episodes last weekend. The episode in question was titled Little Girl Blue. The main focus of the episode was Teri's upcoming promotion to senior partner of her law firm Green & Norris, where she's been a faithful employee for over 5 years. In a memorable series of sequences, she's over at the resident nightclub Groove Theory hobnobbing with the upper crust set that included Green and Norris. While Teri's doing this, Canadian jazz singer Molly Johnson is singing a jazzy tune called My Oh My. That tune along with Nicole's acting really sold the scene for me. Of course that episode started with Teri's highest of high moments and progressed to her hitting her lowest of lows. Nicole Ari Parker worked it that episode.

Hemingway Rock and I went to our first evening social function as a couple this past weekend. It was a slightly snazzy affair that his closest friends go to every year. The crowd was predominantly lesbian with a few gays floating around. Rock and I were arm-in-arm as he was going around introducing folks to me.

As I watched Rock work the crowd (both up close and from a distance), I couldn't help but flash back to that particular episode. We even had a jazz singer that was entertaining us with her music. I later wowed Rock with my skills doing the Cuban slide (my 1st time doing it). I even won a painting I bid on in a silent auction held that night.

Rock and I were the doting pair. We had quite a few PDA's, public displays of affection. It wasn't even like I planned on it but it just felt natural. I imagine we were the talk of the night. Plus Rock couldn't stop complimenting me on how handsome I looked.

The compliments on my style continued Sunday as we spent half the day together having breakfast, then reading the paper at Starbuck's (the coffee shop not my long ago date) and finally chilling at my crib. He even complimented me well into Monday and expressed how he felt like that weekend was a bit of a turning point in our relationship. He wants us to do more outings like that and wants to make an effort to meet my other friends.

Things are progressing nicely as we hit month nine.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger That Dude Right There said...

I think that happenings like this really are a turning point in relationships. This particular event could be seen as a "coming out" of sorts as a couple. Good luck and I hope that you 2 continue to progress.

2:27 PM, August 03, 2007  
Blogger yet another black guy said...

wow, what a nice weekend! i hope to get there soon. looks like you two are making it work, and that's nothing but good news.

as for the Soul Food show, i never watched it because i loved the movie and just couldn't see it coming close. maybe it's time to give it a looksie.

7:41 PM, August 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home