Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Giving On The Low

Eugene joked with me the other day about winning his state lottery. I knew right off it was a joke, though and called him on it. He laughed and then shared a story about an elderly lady who recently passed away that was found to be a billionaire. She lived a frugal life in a working class neighborhood and managed to keep her billionaire status a secret from everyone (I wasn't clear if that included immediate family).

Up until her time of death, she donated millions of dollars to her various pet causes anonymously. In her will, she stated that most of her remaining money go to other causes.

Eugene then said that if he was in her shoes he would do exactly what she did. He wouldn't let anyone know and give anonymously. He would even anonymously help friends and family that are in need. He would continue to live an unassuming life.

It got me thinking. I know that if I had to choose fame or fortune, I'd definitely choose fortune. There is a lot of hassles associated with being a known rich person. It's like Biggie Smalls used to rap (at least I think it's Biggie...*LOL*), 'Mo' Money, More Problems'.

Maybe it is better to just keep things as regular as possible. My own self I know if I were to become financially independent, I would definitely keep it a secret from work and make up some other excuse as to why I'm leaving.

I always thought I'd tell my immediate family but maybe I shouldn't. Actually it would be cool to send anonymous checks to them. When they ask me, I would say that I got an anonymous check too so to keep the suspicion off me. Hmm...this being rich on the low lifestyle has its possibilities. I just have to, you know, actually be rich....*LOL*.

In other news, Chad called today. Three times. He left two messages. I haven't called back. I don't plan on calling back. I hope I don't get stalked.

Changing subjects again....I made it through six days on the Master Cleanse. Four more days to go. I miss food. I lost 7 pounds so far, most of which I will gain back once I start eating solid food again. I'm doing the diet primarily to detox my body, which I feel like I'm doing good at.

3 Comments:

Blogger That Dude Right There said...

A secret? Child Cheese!!!!!!!! Everyone would know. But would everyone get some? Hell no!

9:14 AM, October 05, 2006  
Blogger Rose said...

I would like to keep it a secret to keep down the begging and requests from strangers. But if you win from the lotto you have to tell. But I wouldn't want to be that exposed. Folks do crazy things if they knew you had money-like kidnap-lying-cheating-stealing, everything ele.

1:09 PM, October 06, 2006  
Blogger Lydia Netzer said...

Six days! Wow! Hello from someone on day 3. Feeling like Senna tea tastes like spinach juice. But... will spinach juice do me wrong like Senna tea does? Hehehe. :D Nice to see you're doing so great!

4:01 PM, October 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home