Sunday, June 18, 2006

Keeping Up Appearances

I was wrapping up on week 8 (and a half) of working out in the gym Saturday. I was doing my time on the elliptical machines near the entryway. I couldn't help but notice a number of older folks coming to work out. Men and women in their 60s and 70s. There's one particular older gentleman that I see almost everytime I'm in the gym. Whenever I see him, I always think to myself, if I'm lucky enough to live that long, I hope I'm still able to trek it to the gym.

I inevitably start thinking of my parents, especially my Dad. I'd love to see them go into a Bally's. My Mom does do some exercising at home, which is cool. My Dad has good intentions but hasn't really done much. He used to sport a 29 inch waist before marriage and is now a 42.

Hemingway I occasionally run into a co-employee that attends the same Bally's I do. Everytime he's at the Bally's, he's with his supposed girlfriend. He's in his forties and his lady looks to be in her mid-20's. I notice that after each set, he proceeds to kiss his lady. When I say after each set, I mean after each set. Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against showing affection but his actions border on showing off. I could be cynical because I'll never have that but that much displaying seems to be more for show than anything else. I especially think that because I see him jogging by his lonesome on the sidewalk sometimes when I'm heading home from work and he looks gay as he wants to be.

By nature we are showy creatures. I grew up with the notion that appearance is everything. I mean, my Mom used to tell me all the time to wear clean underwear in case of an accident. But in an episode of Soul Food when Ahmad reminds his Mom that he tells her that all the time, he makes a valid point that if he was in a car accident, he'd likely shit all over his pant and the hospital would have to rip them off anyway, so what's the point of having clean underwear. (Well aside from not stinking in front of everybody...*LOL*)

Society contributes to this as well. If you want a job, you typically need to be clean shaven, dressed in a business suit, and hiding any tattoos you may have. You wanna catch a mate, you typically need to be in shape (or at least appear to be).

Even if your whole world is crumbling apart, you have to look on top of your game. Never let em see you sweat.

I think I had a point but I kinda lost it.

Hemingway I met fellow bloggers Maurice and Cash at Pappadeaux. It was great meeting them. Maurice especially managed to bring me a little bit out of my shell. I'm typically reserved when initially meeting folks, even if we have known each other in the blogworld for a minute. I've always been more of an observer in past encounters, which can make folks edgy because they don't know what I'm thinking or if I'm having an attitude. But sometimes I don't really have much to say at times.

After Pappadeaux, I headed to TGIF's to meet a potential friend for drinks. (Yeah, I left the "potential" word out Cash...*LOL*.) Hemingway the dude was nice looking wearing a tight brown t-shirt that accentuated his body well. He stood at 5"11 and weighed around 225 with a nice build.

I don't know if we'll see each other again so I won't give him a name on here. But it was hilarious as he was talking about his encounters with men at the Bally's he works out. Supposedly he's been chased by a married guy for over a year. They've chatted here and there and he noted that married dude had a smoking body. (You know, I never have guys chasing me at the Bally's I workout at. Though I did have a dude jack off while suggestively leering at me at the River City Bally's.) My potential friend was nice but the one negative is that he smokes. He proceeded to light two cigarettes while we sat at the bar. I mean, we were at the bar so I really couldn't argue much, even though he didn't ask either.

Hemingway I felt bad because I hadn't shaved and was looking shaggy. Hmmm, did I just get back on topic? Hemingway after our drinks, we parted ways. That was pretty much it.

Matt and I chatted today just generally. We were supposed to go bowling last week but he had to work late. He is still so into me. Why can't I be feeling the same?

Sigh...is it Monday already?

9 Comments:

Blogger Clay said...

yeah i see the older folks in the gym and look at their body wondering what their age is

9:07 AM, June 19, 2006  
Blogger Cash S. said...

LOL. It was nice meeting you as well, I had a really good time.

Yeah you did leave potential out lol.

9:17 AM, June 19, 2006  
Blogger BK said...

Ha.. u met my lil brother maurice LOL :) teeheheee sooo ya'll partying and thangs.. *I wanna come to Chicago* LOL

you and these potentials lol

9:31 AM, June 19, 2006  
Blogger ~HoustonNY~ said...

Wait, they have a Pappadeaux's in Chicago????? Damn, when did that happen??? When I was in school in Houston, I worked as a server at the original Pappadeaux's (Store #1). I knew they branched out in Texas and in Atlanta, but did not know Chicago. What's your favorite dish there?

10:19 AM, June 19, 2006  
Blogger Ya boy Maurice said...

LOL... now that you have met me.. tell me what you really think of me.. BY email if you choose. LOL.. I had a great time and next time dont be so shy around me. I dont go for that E.

4:00 PM, June 19, 2006  
Blogger Soldier said...

The kiss thing is hilarious and annoying at the same time, i have friends who do it all the time. We play tennis together in double teams, every time they score they just HAVE to kiss...

U already know how i feel about that Matt thing...

2:29 AM, June 21, 2006  
Blogger princessdominique said...

Showy by nature is an understatement but then its not "all" just some.

7:54 AM, June 21, 2006  
Blogger nosthegametoo said...

I usually go out of my way not to go to a gym where I'll be socializing too much. It's too much of a distraction.

7:26 PM, June 21, 2006  
Blogger Rose said...

I wished that I enjoyed exercising. When I was younger I really enjoyed it. Now that I am older and set in my ways, it's hard to get started. That
s admirable about the older folks.

Question? Why can't some women tell a guy is gay, especially when they are dating them but other gay folks can pick him out like a snap of a finger? Why won't you tell women what those signs are? I know it is not your responsibility but maybe this will bring men out of the closet and give them confidence to be themselves...

11:35 PM, June 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home