Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Jigga Out

I had a semi-productive day so far. I took a holiday from the job today. It was long overdue.

I spent the morning looking at laminate samples and ordering some of those on-line from a wholesale carpeting company in Atlanta. I should be getting those in the next few days. I spent part of the morning and the rest of the afternoon staining my front deck. I wasted time during lunch to meet a couple guys that were no-shows. It was my fault, though, because I decided to go even though I didn't hear back from either. But it gave me an excuse to stop at Chicago's Smoothies and Ice Cream for a mango/pineapple smoothie with some wheatgerm. It was delish.

I even decided to dial in to a work conference call this afternoon that I didn't have to call but since it's a process I need to understand, I decided to. SLAB was on the line so maybe that'll give me some brownie points (not that I'm looking for any...*LOL*).

The deck looks fabolous. I guess I need to hang out there more. I still need to clean and stain the patio in the back. That's a bit more daunting task.

Hemingway my trip to Detroit was shaping to be pretty uneventful. I drove over to Trina's job and chatted with her for a bit. She told me that she would stop at the house tomorrow so I could give her the gifts then.

Before leaving, Trina gave me a bit of a jolt by telling me that my face was starting to fill up. A week before, the janitor at my job told me I was looking pudgy. I do admit that I sorta slipped from hitting the gym for a minute but I didn't realize how dire things were, even with the other clues of my clothes not looking as good as they used to look on me.

So I went to the gym last night and I plan on going after posting this entry. I've also bought a new smoothie blender so that I can blend some healthy fruit (and Miracle Greens) concoctions.

So needless to say I was a bit self-conscious during Easter service on Sunday. Fortunately my stuff did fit me okay and nobody made any comments, so that was good.

Trina and the boyfriend did come over later in the evening. After giving Trina the gifts, my Mom, Trina, and myself were making small talk with an occasional chime from the boyfriend. It was getting close to midnight and I could see my Mom was getting tired so I gently urged them to get a move on. We said our goodbyes and so ended Easter Sunday.

Monday morning after I dropped my Dad off at work (his car starter died over the weekend), I came back to the house to finish packing for my return trip to Chicago. I joined my Mom in the dining room to watch the morning news. Good Morning America did the story again about the thousand or so gay families that were planning on taking part in the Easter celebrations at the White House. After the segment, my Mom asked me if I had a girlfriend. Here we go again, I thought. I told her I didn't have one and she asked me what am I waiting for since I'm not getting any younger.

I sheepishly laughed.

A little background...my parents never had that talk with me (or my sisters as far as I know) about the "birds and the bees". I guess they didn't know how to broach the subject and I wasn't going to ask them. I was already trying to keep in check my attraction to boys in high school. And I'm sure if I told them about that or what happened with "the bully" years back, they would've had a fit.

So talking about anything relating to sex always seemed to be a taboo subject. So the few times in my life my folks would ask about girlfriends, I would always brush them off with a 'not finding the right one' response. I know the brief time in my life I did have a girlfriend, they were probably really relieved.

So after laughing, I just shrugged my shoulders. I thought that was the end of it. But then my Mom went deeper. She recalled a recent conversation that she had with an aunt (I guess my grand-aunt). This aunt was querying to my Mom why my sisters and I don't have children yet. (What a nosy bitch.) So Hemingway this nosy grand-aunt went on to say that since I was a man, I should have kids by now. So then she mentioned to my Mom that the family does have gays and then insinuated that I was one (I mean never mind I am one...as I've recently come to terms with it.)

I assume my Mom was upset by the conversation. After rehashing the conversation to me, she then asked me the question. Are you gay?

My mind was quickly processing what to do and say.

I need to work out.

5 Comments:

Blogger BK said...

Come on now E.. dont have me hear mouth open like DID HE TELL HIS MOMMA??? Come on now.. you worse than dem producers of 24 keeping me in suspense.. LOL

I come out my lil hiatus to come and read and you got me all on da cliff

1:49 PM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger M-Dubb said...

Yeah, uh, what DID you say? I'm thinking you lied and said you weren't. Prove me wrong.

7:39 PM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger Cash S. said...

Oh wow! My dad asked me last year, I denied it though. I'll tell him some day.

9:32 PM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger Marz said...

When a man and a man are in love, they wish to express their love. To make more in a sense..... THey enjoy an interesting HUG that allows them to PHYSICALLy express their gratitude for that person....

LOL. I have given sex talks FOREVER. IT's so fun. Especially with a Ken and Barbie Doll yes....


YOu already know how I feel.


-Marz

9:34 AM, April 22, 2006  
Blogger yet another black guy said...

oh no you didn't! you did NOT just end that story like that!

9:13 AM, October 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home