Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Like Dreamers Do

TV news land has been abuzz with excitement over the line-up shake-ups. Katie Couric and Meredith Vieira are moving on to greener and richer pastures. Katie moves on to CBS and will be taking over the CBS Evening News. She's reportedly netting a cool $15 million dollars a year. Whether she fits in at CBS remains to be seen.

Taking Katie's spot is Meredith Vieira. There's wild speculation on some of the message boards over who'll take over Meredith's old spot. The biggest rumor was that either Patricia Heaton (pop-up warning) or Kathie Lee Gifford would replace Meredith. Other names that were tossed included Jillian Barberie, Connie Chung, Vanessa L. Wililams, and Lisa Rinni. Speculation runs rampant.

Personally I think the show should be canned. Eight seasons of that dreck is long enough. Baba Wawa needed to retire like last year. Elizabeth Hasselback is a non-entity. Joy Behar can be funny at times but a comedianne alone a newshow not makes. The less said about Star Jones (heh...I've already said too much), the better. Her star would fall so fast once that show gets dumped.

I myself am getting closer to moving on to greener pastures. My nine year anniversary with my company is coming up soon and I vowed to leave after my tenth. It's a dream right now but I'm doing all I can to make it a reality. I'm not gonna be netting a multi-million deal like the tv personalities but I'm hoping to make a living doing what I love best....trading stocks.

I've realized for the last couple years that I haven't been happy in my present position. I'm longing to be my own boss. Reading Ms. Holiday's Savvy Sunday on a Monday post motivated me even more towards that goal.

Life is about taking risks, albeit calculated ones. With the exception of my crazy love life, I've always played the cautious card when coming to my livelihood. There's something comforting about knowing that you're guaranteed to get a paycheck every two weeks (aside from the lack of job security these days...*LOL*).

I think psychologically for me, I've always felt like I had to be the stable one in the family. I pretty much took the conventional path to get to where I'm at today. I went straight to college from high school. I completed my degree in four and a half years and got the job relating to my major months before graduation. I've been on the same career path for over a decade.

But it's definitely time for a change.

I don't really care for the 9 to 5 route anymore. I've done as much as I want to do with my degree. I want to branch out beyond the security. I realize that staying where I am now, no matter how much money I make, won't give me the freedom both physically and financially that I crave. Companies will always give you just enough to live on and maybe get a new toy or two. But nothing more.

I don't want to jump into daytrading waters lightly. Research and knowledge is definitely important. That's why I'm giving myself a year to get my act together to prepare myself for the next phase of my life. I'm educating myself via books and message boards about stocks. I'm learning that it's definitely not as easy as I think. (Well I guess my previous trades should tell me that...*LOL*) But nothing you want ever is! But it'll be oh so worth it.

Hemingway.

In case you haven't read Ms. Holiday's blog, this week marks her last week in blogland. She's been at it for well over a year, describing the experience among other things as her longest relationship. Heh...I acknowledge that it's my longest relationship too.

I'm definitely going to miss reading about her experiences. She'll leave behind, however, a rich vestibule of knowledge that can be read over and over. The girl with the heart of platinum is moving on to her own greener pastures. Adieu, fair maiden.

5 Comments:

Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

Ha - I can't believe you. I love the View. I TiVO it EVERYDAY. I don't watch it though unless they have some good guests on. But you're right - Elisabeth doesn't add anything to the show. But they're ratings are up though. I think they need to add some new flavor to the show and it'd be good - but I guess their market of viewers like it the way it is. And whew...without the view, star would definitely fall.

8:49 AM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger Cash S. said...

The View is late, especially Star's ass.

If you change jobs take me with you.

10:06 AM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger Rodney said...

Cash said it best! The View is late. Star, on the other hand, needs to do something else. I would love to see her do something like Nancy Grace because she is really a bright woman and a good legal mind. The View will make you forget that. Joy Behar is my bitch, but I certainly don't want to see her insult skinny girls for an hour. Doesn't Barbara show up for work when she feels like it?

3:16 PM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger Marz said...

AWWW, I feel the view in the summertime when i can see it. (LOL)

UMMM. You know the best way to make it in stocks is to buy into what the highest consumer demographic is buying. WHO IS IN THAT DEMOGRAPHIC AND CAN HELP A BROTHA OUT?

MARZ

I don't know why any of the older people don't ask what kids are buying so they can make ome money. but whatever. (LOL)



P.S. UPS.( Wink wink )

-Marz

5:01 PM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger Rose said...

I never really cared for the view. All of them bore me. Hasselback, why is she even there? Well anyway, I wish I had Katie's paycheck. But anyway, go for what you know. Life is all about risks. Remember it is the person who take the risks that finds the success. At least that what I keep reading.

11:12 PM, April 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home