Friday, September 16, 2005

Hey, Where's My Kandi?

Whatever happened to Kandice Burguss?



















Kandi's more famously known as being 1/4 of R&B female group Xscape. The group released three CDs before eventually disbanding. The first album, Hummin' Comin' at Cha (such language...*LOL*) , included hit singles Just Kicking It, Understanding (I still get chills hearing that song), and Is My Living In Vain. Their second album, Off the Hook, included the singles Do You Want To, Feels So Good, and Who Do I Run To. I'm not gonna lie. I really can't remember much about their third CD Traces Of My Lipstick except that it wasn't really publicized. I don't even remember any of the singles from that album. It was also around the time that the group disbanded.

Kandi started getting a bigger name for herself penning several killer songs for artists like Destiny's Child, TLC, and Mimi (that's Mariah Carey...*LOL*).

I started thinking about Kandi when listening to her only solo release, Hey Kandi. You can say I was feeling her songs based on my current mood. 80% of her songs contain the same theme about how men are dogs & how game recognizes game. While they're all the same theme, I do enjoy the different variations on the songs.

For example, she took it a step further and went pig latin on a brother in the song What I'm Gon' Do To You. Here is the pig latin:

I'may ongay eakbray ouryay ecknay if I
atchcay ouyay oybay.
Did you understand that? I thought so.
I'may ongay ustbay ouryay utsnay if I
atchcay ouyay oybay.

Now I had to figure out how to read pig latin in order to understand what the heck she's saying, though I just enjoyed hearing it for years without thinking about the meaning. I found out the meaning recently and woo, don't cross this bitch..:-)

Translation:
I'm gonna break your neck if I
catch you boy.
I'm gonna bust your nuts if I
catch you boy.

I had to make sure my nuts were still there after hearing those words. She does give good ideas, though...:-) She must've been going through some shit when releasing that album because every song was about cutting a cheating brother. Then she had me rolling with the song I Won't Bite My Tongue. I was thinking, girl, you weren't biting it since you began, so why bite it now. *LOL* It basically disses a brother who she thought was packing & would turn her out in bed, but was done before she could get over.

So anyway, she has a great voice and its a shame she hasn't released a follow-up LP. I'd be curious if she'd stick to the same theme or venture beyond it.

3 Comments:

Blogger ~ Eclectic Soul ~ said...

Funny, I was just wondering about her the other day, too...

2:11 AM, September 16, 2005  
Blogger Rose said...

Actually my daughter was reading something about her in I think Sister2Sister. She is still writing and I believe just got married. I think that was her...I know the girl's name was the same...

3:19 PM, September 16, 2005  
Blogger Marz said...

Went over my head. (The curses of being banned from all music. LOL)


Sidebar: We are SOOOO online a lot at the same time. We should talk. LEt some of my humor out. (LOL) Alright, so I'll add you sometime this week. Be on the lookout. Is your email your sn?


-Marz

10:53 PM, February 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home