Friday, January 20, 2006

To Quiche or Not to Quiche?

It was a year and a day ago that I drove myself to emergency for my health issues. Since that day, I still have issues with my BP on and off. I start the day off with normal pressure and by the end of it, it'll sometimes rise. It's frustrating. I've shared my issues with Eugene and he argues that I need to have the doctors get to the bottom of what's wrong with me.

I agree with him, of course. But the problem with the doctors I have is that they dismiss a lot of things I say. And yeah, I know I need to be more vocal. But I'm the nonconfrontational type, remember?

I don't really want to be on medication either. My average has been under 140/90 overall but the occurences of the spikes have been increasing. At least I don't remember having this issue prior to January 2005, except for another time I drove myself to emergency New Year's Eve 1996.

I've even gone to a gasroentology doctor, thinking that my blood pressure could be liver related. After looking at my recent bloodwork, he concluded that it's likely nothing wrong with my liver. I also told this doctor about my occasional chest pains that go away after drinking water. He told me to make an appointment to have an endoscopy done to my throat and esophagus. I backed out at the last minute, however, since it didn't seem related to my blood pressure.

I have been managing my BP and notice that taking "power naps" and hot showers tend to lower my BP. I'm working on getting the courage to enter a sauna after my workouts. I figure cooking for a few minutes should do wonders for it as well.

Hemingway on to happier news.

I found my Phyllis Hyman CD this morning. It was inside my Jody Watley Affairs of the Heart cover. Another great CD. Hmmm, I got good taste...*LOL*. As a bonus, I found Pebbles's Self-Titled Debut CD inside my Mariah Carey Self-Titled Debut cover. I was so excited by my finds. I immediately packed up Phyllis and loaded her CD up in my car. I was singing her songs in the car and felt her words. So powerful. So strong.

I'm listening to Pebbles's first single Girlfriend right now. She starts off by saying..."To Believe or not to believe, that is the question." Hearing that inspired me to come up with my own twist to the question. Hence the title of today's entry.

Next Friday, a small group of employees are having an international potluck day. Basically folks are encouraged to bring a dish that's either a speciality of your country or something you like to make. Cooking isn't my forte but I do it once in a while to live...*LOL*.

One dish that I make pretty well is a quiche. They say that real men don't eat quiche. If that's the case, then I resign my man card. I love quiche with a passion. My first introduction to quiche was my Mom. She always had nice varieties that include shrimp, sausage, ham, onions, etc. Whenever I'm in town, my Mom will spontaneously whip up a quiche for us to enjoy.

My first attempt at making my own quiche was a disaster. I made a seafood quiche for a group meeting that I was hosting at my apartment years ago. Hemingway making the quiche itself wasn't the challenge. The mistake was leaving the quiche in the oven overnight instead of refrigerating it. Yeah. I was lucky nobody got food poisoning.

Needless to say I was shy about making the dish again. Until late last year. I had the courage to make one with shrimp, sausage, mushrooms, brocolli, and onions. It was the bomb. And I had it all to myself.

So I'm debating whether I want to make one for the International Day or not. I'm not sure yet. I question if any of my co-workers would eat anything that came from my hands. I'll probably decide one way or the other next week.

4 Comments:

Blogger No_the_game said...

I wrote you a long comment then it deleted :)

Bottom line is go to doc and check out your health. If they find nothing move on. I used to have that problem then i found it was mental.

Make ur food and pls share the recipe because I want to try. Even better invite me over to eat :)

12:52 PM, January 21, 2006  
Blogger Rose said...

You should go back to the doctors' and make them find out what is wrong. Men have tendencies to not like checking on their health. Even when they know something is amiss. Check yourself. Maybe you eat too much pork and salt which does spike blood pressure. Go the doctor, health is more important than anything else. I am waiting on you to tell us that you took our advice. Write your questions down and hand the paper to the doctor if that will make you more comfortable.

1:05 PM, January 21, 2006  
Blogger Mr. Death said...

Quiches can be great if done right, and if you try and try again and get it right, its like your King of the World. --Trust me, I cook. ;)

As for your health, some doctors may be idiots, or seem like their doing nothing, but its worth a shot, in case there is something worse going on. "Better safe then sorry" should be my motto, but isn't. Good to apply sometimes.
Cheers and Good Health,
JV

12:43 AM, January 22, 2006  
Blogger P said...

Quiches are the bomb. Spinach is the best.

By the way. Love your style, and your type of music. I read your "Remembering Phyllis Blog" I actually did a piece on my site titled clocking out, and she was the first person mentioned on the list.

Take care, and have a great week.

8:21 PM, January 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home