Saturday, October 08, 2005

Vacation Countdown

Seven more days until I leave Chicago. As you may remember, I'm flying west to Seattle on the 15th and staying until the following Tuesday. I already know I want to check out the Space Needle.















Here's an image of the Seattle Waterfront. It's in the heart of downtown Seattle. There's lots of shops & theatres and other forms of entertainment to keep one occupied down there. I'll probably be spending the majority of my time in this part of Seattle. I'm actually surprised they managed to get a clear picture of the waterfront. I've heard it rains in Seattle at least 300 days out of the year. That may be a rumor, though, so you didn't hear it from me.

I looked at the weather forecast for Seattle and man it's going to be freaking cold. The average temperature looks to be around 58 degrees. And of course, it's either going to be rainy or cloudy. I already have my umbrella packed. I guess I need to pack a jacket too. I might as well be in Chicago. Just kidding.


Seattle is home to the historical 5th Avenue theatre. The theatre first opened in 1926 and served as a venue for silent film and vaudeville acts. The inspiration behind its decor mirror the architecture of anicent Imperial China. The theatre underwent a restoration process in 1989. It serves as the home for locally produced musicals and touring Broadway shows. I looked at their online schedule and unfortunately it doesn't look like anything is playing while I'm down there. But I may stop by anyway. Though I wonder if they allow tourists during nonperformance days. I guess I'll find out.


I can't wait to check out Pike Place Market. According to some statistics, the market receives upwards of 9 million unique visitors a year. It was first established in 1907 by a group of citizens outraged at the price of produce. It started out with a handful of farmers who sold their goods. Today, over 600 business offering various produce exist. I even read about a fisherman market where the workers toss the fish at each other as sort of an entertainment ritual. It actually attracts a lot of folks into their establishment. As long as they don't throw any at me, I may have to check that out.

Of course they have other things to keep me entertained, including museums, restaurants, clubs, and other historical sites. I meeting a friend of mine down there so unlike my solitary but fun trip to Tampa last June, I'll at least have company some of the time. I totally can't wait.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rose said...

You are going to have a great time. Seattle is beautiful-rainy but beautiful. Take pictures. Could any place be as cold as Chicago? I dunno.

11:14 PM, October 08, 2005  
Blogger That Girl said...

Have Fun!

7:51 AM, October 09, 2005  
Blogger Marz said...

I think Seattle is one of those cities that aren't broadcasted enough. INstead everyone harps on....(I'mma hold me tongue.LOL)

-Marz

12:23 AM, February 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home