Friday, October 07, 2005

RIO Top Ten - Round 1

I thought I'd share with you the top ten songs that are currently in my Rio MP3 player. It's amazing how songs almost apply to just about any situation. Of course, you sometimes have to adjust it a bit to fit your particular circumstances. However, as I learned from Mista Gaskin, who unfortunately isn't blogging currently, some songs fit you like a glove. Oh and thanks man for helping me complete my Toni Braxton Libra collection. The funny thing, the additional three songs kind of help balance out her album. I still don't know why they were left off. Speaking of Toni, she starts out my countdown.


10) Midnite - Toni Braxton, Libra - As much as I dogged Toni's latest effort, damn if this song didn't finally reel me in. I think it started off with me trying to figure out what the hell she's mumbling about. Then I was like...whoo (that's her trademark word by the way...*LOL*), the beat's kinda catchy. Next thing you know, for the last several days, I'm humming..."It's Midnight, tell me, do you know where your man is..." It's a definite mantra for all the trifling negros that choose to plague our existence.







9) Home Alone - R. Kelly, R - The man's a freaking mess. He's a lawyer's dream client. He has a thing for underage girls. He wants to continue the trifling ghetto soap opera Trapped In The Closet. The title makes no freaking sense at all. It especially doesn't connect when guest rapper Keith Murray starts off with the words..."It's gonna be a party ya'll". Then again, I guess if you're a teenager, something I haven't been in over 20 years and you're home alone (though, please, my parents didn't go anywhere...*LOL*), you would throw a party. So yeah, even though I can't relate, it makes sense. And what a banger to start it off. The beats are perfect for that night you're hanging with your boys or girls heading out to the club. Lower them windows, wave your hands, swish your head, it's gonna be a party ya'll.







8) Wanna Be Startin' Something - Michael Jackson - Thriller - Like R., Michael Jackson has had his share of legal woes. But nonetheless, old school Michael rules. This song gets me to shake my booty everytime it comes on. It's Michael sassiness at his best. He dares you to start some shit with him. He's like, come on, I dare you. At least that's how I feel when listening to it. It's the jam even over twenty years later. Classic Michael at his best & before his skin started getting all weird.






7) Baby Love - Pebbles - Pebbles - You'd think the national girls let's stand together anthem of the 80's Girlfriend or the let me be all sultry and invite you to my Mercedes Boy would be the songs I'd jam to. And I do jam to them. Don't get me wrong! But something about the unfamous Baby Love gets to me. Maybe it's Pebbles pleading tone. Maybe it's the pulsating bubblegum tunes that hypnotically lures me in. Whatever it is! It's the jam to me. It perfectly showcases Pebbles vocals and gives her that innocence she lacked in Mercedes Boy.








6) Dissed Him - En Vogue - Soul Flower - I almost feel like I'm betraying the original foursome of En Vogue, especially since this song mostly features newcomer Rhona Bennett. But damn it! I love this song. Rhona sings the refrain quite strongly and alone, which is atypical for an En Vogue song. Then again, this is neo soul En Vogue. Cindy does take a verse and Terry does the bridge but it's Rhona's vocals that have me feening this song. And how many of us found ourselves in that situation? Here are the words... "I dissed him, now I miss him. But I miss him because I dissed him. But he done me wrong and I'm not that strong to resist him, so I kissed him. Should I have kissed him when I dissed him? Should I have dissed him when I only missed him? I don't really know. But I'm all alone and I miss him, I really miss him." Sing it Rhona.








5) Go Ahead With All That - Chante Moore - Exposed - I feel dirty even liking this song. I didn't like this song or her Exposed album all that much when I first bought it. You see, like Toni Braxton, she started out with two strong albums out of the gate. Precious & Love Supreme both showcased Chante's jazzy, Diana Ross/Barbra Streissand like voice. Exposed was her attempt to be street and ghetto and I guess try to find a more urban audience. I still don't forgive her for saying the N-word, not once but dozens of times on the track Bitter. However, I've grown to like a few of her songs from Exposed and this one stands out. She's basically calling a brother out for his BS. It's the classic you don't know what you got till it's gone song. And despite the change in genre, Chante's voice still stands out on this song.

Before I get to #4, you'll have to forgive the different album cover sizes. Some of them I'm getting off Amazon and others I'm getting off different pages so the sizes aren't really consistent.
Ok. On with the show.







4) Candy - Cameo - 12 inch Collection and More - Cameo has always had the coolest jams. I fell in love with Candy all over again when watching The Best Man a couple years back. It was so endearing seeing Murch get lap danced by the lovely "Candy". I swear, Candy would make me switch teams. Anyway I had to get the 12 inch version of Candy. I love this song. It's perfect to work out to and I have to stop myself from wanting to move seductively in the gym. *LOL*







3) Flirting With An Angel - Gary Taylor - Love Dance - Gary Taylor is the voice. He's among the cream of the underrated artists. He's written hits for Anita Baker, Angela Winbush, and The Whispers just to name a few artists. He's been in the business for over 20 years and currently releases CDs on his own independent label. Flirting With An Angel was an instant favorite when I first heard it. The scenario is that a friend is admiring the object of his/her friend's desire. Basically he's saying that he or she must've been flirting with an angel. The lyrics are tight. Here's a sampling. "She was more than a physical attraction. Her beauty was a plus but her smile was saying it all. So brief was my heart's encounter. If this is what it's like - (God) let me take the fall." Run, don't walk, and purchase this CD. And check out his earlier and current works. You won't be disappointed.







2) Say Something - Mariah Carey - The Emancipation of Mimi - I don't know who the hell Mimi is but she needs to stick around. Mariah came back strong and hard in 2005 with this CD. There's a lot of jams on here but this cute one featuring Snoop Dogg is tops on my MP3. I love the way Snoop and Mariah volley the song back and forth. It's all about getting your game in gear to pick up that perfect girl or guy for a quickie. I can't wait until the video comes out for this. I have a feeling it'll be pretty hilarious.

And drum roll....the #1 song on my RIO MP3 player is...







1) Me, Myself, and I - Beyonce - Dangerously In Love - Yeah, Beyonce is fucking overrated. See Clay Cane's legendary post to get the lowdown why. He explains it much better than I could. However, the aforementioned song has become my anthem of sorts. I have to ignore the whole "All the ladies in the house..." part, however, she speaks to all of us that's been through shit and realize that we're better off by ourselves than being in a bad situation. Sometimes the only person you can depend on is yourself. And if you can't depend on you, you can't expect someone to take care of you. Very nice lyrics and the beat isn't too shabby. That's why it's my #1 pick currently.

So there you have it! A taste of what's in my RIO. I'll have to do this again real soon. Hence, the words Round 1 in my blog title. You get to know me song by song. I hope you enjoyed the lyrical journey. I'll talk to you all later.

9 Comments:

Blogger E said...

I'm not sure if the above is spam or not...I'm actually amazed that even with word verification that some spam still filters through. However, the potential spam had me at..."you have a riveting blog..." so the long ass message stays...*LOL*.

10:35 PM, October 06, 2005  
Blogger E said...

Then again, are some companies paying actual people to spam blogs? It would explain how it gets past the word verification. Things that make you go hmmm.

11:03 PM, October 06, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

the ultimate list of a young gay man ... LOL!

Just Kidding!

9:21 AM, October 07, 2005  
Blogger DramaFree said...

I love Mimi's CD!! I thought I was the only one!

12:06 PM, October 07, 2005  
Blogger Clay said...

i almost slammed my head into the computer when i saw toni and r kelly ... but then i cooled down seeing Pebbles, En Vogue and Cameo ... however, i threw up in my mouth a bit w/ Mariah and Beyonce! lawwwwwwddd! j/k

2:52 PM, October 07, 2005  
Blogger Clay said...

i almost slammed my head into the computer when i saw toni and r kelly ... but then i cooled down seeing Pebbles, En Vogue and Cameo ... however, i threw up in my mouth a bit w/ Mariah and Beyonce! lawwwwwwddd! j/k

2:52 PM, October 07, 2005  
Blogger Rose said...

Mariah Rocks! I love her entire cd and I am glad that she is back. The others' oh well. Now Beyonce' em cd with Girls.

3:32 PM, October 07, 2005  
Blogger ~ Eclectic Soul ~ said...

I've been chillin to Raheem Devaughn's remake of "Prototype" for 5 days straight, *lol*. I'mma have to check out some of these jams...

12:00 AM, October 08, 2005  
Blogger Marz said...

I SWORE I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO IGNORED BEYONCE SAYING, "All my ladies". LOLOLOLOL

I lov3e the song too, even though she is overrated. The second verse is just so FIREY and I love it.


-Marz

12:20 AM, February 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home