Thursday, January 11, 2007

Death Of The Party

James Brown's funeral was quite the event. If you didn't see the casket on stage, you would've thought it was a party going on. At least that's what I heard since I wasn't there.

Marlon summed it up Brown's funeral best in his entry:

"Five gol---den caskets!
Four calling hoes
Three kids a cryin
Two white horses
And a scorned woman sitting at the gate!"

They say things happen in threes. First it was Mike Evans, the original Lionel from the Jeffersons. He died on December 14th at the age of 57 from throat cancer. Then there was James Brown who died on Christmas day of congestive heart failure. The third was Gerald Ford who passed on December 26th. Evans's and Ford's funerals were both more conventional, though the latter had more media coverage.

Rock and I were conversing recently about the deaths and the subject came up on how we would want our funerals. If we were able to view our own funerals, what would you want to see? Yeah it's a morbid topic to think of, especially with a new year starting, but it's a discussion worth having.

Rock mentioned that he wants his funeral to be like a Mardi Gras. Streamers and party hats for all. Instead of a suit, he wants to be buried wearing shorts and a t-shirt. He doesn't want any crying and wants everyone to remember all the good times he had. He also wants his body inside a mausoleum. Of course when he told his Mom about this, she wasn't receptive to the idea.

For me I want my body to be cremated and my ashes spread over some undeterminable location. The thought of my ashes being in some urn for all eternity as a constant reminder to whoever is left to look at doesn't sound appealing. I'm okay with the conventional funeral, though. Maybe rent a casket so folks wouldn't be weirded out.

Both ideas are far from the norm but it is what it is. So what kind of funeral would you all want?

UPDATE!!!!!!!
p.s...Rock and I are currently experiencing a bit of turbulence in our budding relationship. We're working our way through it though. Maybe I'll dish one day.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Ladynay said...

I don't want a funeral, I want a party. When I die the plan is to give all my good organs to folks that need them then burn the rest of me up. After that I want them to have a big ole party and celebrate the life I had on earth.

You know you gotta dish sooner than later so out with it! LOL

7:06 AM, January 12, 2007  
Blogger That Dude Right There said...

Ladynay stole my idea! I also want to be cremated after my organs have been harvested. I won't have any use for them!

5:53 PM, January 12, 2007  
Blogger Rose said...

I think I want people to celebrate my life...no pity party for me, nor cremation.

10:49 PM, January 12, 2007  
Blogger princessdominique said...

That little Christmas jingle was hilarious! Happy New Year!

3:23 PM, January 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home