Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Secret Santa

Another holiday is buzzing its way through. In the E family, Christmas time has been a bit anti-climatic. I mean, the excitement that I once had for the holiday is gone (as it's been for everyone else in the family). Long gone.

Don't get me wrong. I definitely enjoy spending time with the family (minor dramas and all...*LOL*). It's just that the whole gift thing hasn't been that exciting in general.

For years now, my friend Sally has this tradition called "Secret Santa". There's various versions of this but Sally's version is that her two sisters, her mom, her aunt, and Sally put their names in a hat and they each have to pick a name from the hat. The rule is that a person can't pick their own name. If any of them chooses their own name, the whole process of picking names has to happen again. The idea is that nobody should know who anyone else has. There's also a set amount each should spent. The amount they set is $50.

I recently found out that Eugene has been doing the exact same tradition with his family.

It was then that the bells were ringing in my ear. "Secret Santa" would bring a bit of excitement back into the E holidays for all involved. So I explained the concept to my sisters first. They both were in. I figured my toughest sale would be on my Mom. I know she likes to get a little something for everyone. In fact, I think when Sally first told me about her family tradition a few years back, I may have mentioned it to my Mom, who poopooed the idea. I had a feeling with recent events (my younger sis Trina moving out, etc. ) that the time for "Secret Santa" was perfect. So I pitched it to both my parents, who both decided to go for it.

I sorta told my sisters about the limit amount but didn't mention anything about that to my parents. I figured just getting them to agree to the name picking was exciting enough. I may spring it on them next year.

So tonight Trina was supposed to come over so that the four of them could pick names and mail me the 5th (assuming a co-worker of Tasha's didn't pick my name, in which case, the whole process would have to happen again). But Trina was a no-show. So Tasha co-ordinated the event with my parents. Other than a minor issue my Mom had with a stranger picking for Trina and myself, which I was able to resolve, the name picking went without a hitch. So tomorrow Tasha will have a co-worker draw for Trina and myself. I'm hoping said co-worker picks different names so we don't have to do the process again...*LOL*. I have this image of the remaining names being Trina and myself and they choose in that order. I'll keep my fingers crossed that isn't the case.

If I had to rank the easiest to hardest to shop for, it'd be Trina, Dad, Tasha, and Mom. My Mom is a challenge because my options on things to get her are limited. She's very finicky about clothes, plus I wouldn't know what size to get. My Mom's not really technical so electronics are out. So she would be a challenge indeed. But I think I'd be up to it. After all, she's my Mom and I love her.

I look forward to starting this "new tradition" with the family. I'll keep you all posted.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Stone said...

Get your mommy something that makes her smell good women like that.

Light Blue
by Dolce & Gabbana

Its smell so so so good, I got it from my mother before

5:51 AM, December 15, 2005  
Blogger Cash S. said...

Secret Santa is HOT! I've never done it with the family, but I've always done it with co-workers. It certainly puts a smile on a persons face when they see what they got!

9:09 AM, December 15, 2005  
Blogger lj said...

what stone said can't really go wrong with perfume and the ultimate lazy gift......a gift card.

1:48 PM, December 15, 2005  
Blogger @GaryTylone said...

We did that in our family too...I loved it!! Everyone always wanted me to pick them ( I guess a gay man always picked the best gifts). D&G's light blue smells like orange/lemon rinds...from how you speak about ur moms she might not like that...Get Romance by Polo Ralph Lauren or White Diamonds...That Taylor lady

2:31 PM, December 15, 2005  
Blogger Waddie G. said...

why are so many black families so funny acting about the Christmas holidays, especially by not doing large gatherings for dinner? that bothers me...my own family is like that

3:15 PM, December 15, 2005  
Blogger N4R said...

My family started Secret Santa last year. And for two reasons 1) ensure everyone gets at least one gift 2)we are cheap and didn't want to buy for everyone. LOL Our limit was actually $25. The strangest thing is my mother and my brother didn't buy gifts for their Secret Santas. I knew they were set to receive gifts so I had to buy the gifts they neglected to purchase. I wanted everyone to have a merry good time.

But this year is different. Funny that ProfessorGQ mentioned the large family gathering because that is our intent this year. No purchase of gifts expect for the kids. Times are really ruff this holiday season. Since Thanksgiving was a bust we are going all out for Christmas Dinner. I should be hot. I will blog about it.

11:54 PM, December 15, 2005  
Blogger Rose said...

This is the first time we are doing Secret Santa. I think it is going to be fun with my siblings and nieces...

1:02 AM, December 17, 2005  
Blogger M-Dubb said...

We used to do that before everybody started divorcing and whatnot. Sigh.

4:46 PM, December 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home